Need Help! Transmission pops out of 5th.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 09:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help! Transmission pops out of 5th.

97 F150 4x4, 5sp manual transmission. Took the old rig for a trip through the Canadian Rockies, and well, i have some transmission issues now. The truck is popping out of 5th, either with load on it or without. Wanted to test her with both scenarios as i knew i would be coming here looking for some advice. if i apply a little pressure while in 5th, it doesnt seem top want to pop out. when applying the pressure i can feel the movement on the motor pushing back. i guess what i'm looking for is what you all think the diagnosis is? i really don't have a lot of cash, so looking at the most economical way of troubleshooting so i can get her back on the road. From what I've found, it could be shift forks, but cant find anything on 5-r, could be syncros, maybe motor mounts are worn and its pushing it out? could it be the bushings in shifter? like i said, any help would be appreciated!

CamCol
97 F150
4.6L V8
4x4
AKA - The Beast

Old 04-06-2015, 10:12 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It could be the shifter, or Worn slider, bent or worn shift fork, or a bad or weak detent. It's not a motor mount or anything external, it's inside the trans. It isn't the syncro IMHO.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by jgger
It could be the shifter, or Worn slider, bent or worn shift fork, or a bad or weak detent. It's not a motor mount or anything external, it's inside the trans. It isn't the syncro IMHO.
Thanks for the reply. have to remember, I'm a ! I think there is an easy way for me to check the shifter, and that's just by removing the boot correct? what would i be looking for under the boot?

Old 04-06-2015, 10:45 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Removing the boot will only give you access. You would want to remove the stick itself, I believe there is a nylon bushing on the end that can wear. I am not the one to give you info on the M5od, My answer was based on general "operation" for a manual trans.

Hopefully someone with experience with that trans will chime in soon. But whatever you do, make sure the trans/shifter is in neutral before removing any parts from the trans.

Good luck.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:49 PM
thanks jgger, i'' look at this more tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Need Help! Transmission pops out of 5th.