M5R2 Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 09:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M5R2 Noise

Hello, I have a 1996 F150 Eddie Bauer that i bought with a 5.0. I have spent nearly $14000 on this truck trying to bring it back to life. I had purchased a remanufactured long block 5.8 351w to put in which was more expensive than anticipated. Alot of the parts did not switch over from the 5.0 so I had to purchase new parts. The engine came from Pro-Mar Precision Engines.

The problem I am having now is with the transmission. I have the m5R2 5 speed and ever since the engine swap it rattles so bad in 5th gear. It sounds just like an engine pinging but I know its not the engine because as soon as I press my clutch pedal down the sound disappears and everything is silent again. It whines in all gears except 4th, especially when downshifting. It does not rattle in any other gear. I had dropped the tranny and installed a new pilot bearing, throwout bearing, pressure plate, and clutch disk and filled with mercon ATF fluid, as well as my transfer case. If i put my transfer case in neutral and put the truck in 5th gear you can hear whining but no rattle. Can someone please help me out on this. I am contemplating on purchasing a rebuilt tranny from Man-Trans

Old 01-03-2015, 12:37 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
You need a rebuild or a ZF. The M5OD-R2 can't hold up to the torque of a 5.8 for very long.

Quick Reply: M5R2 Noise