2003 Ford F-150 5.4 SuperCrew

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 09:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Ford F-150 5.4 SuperCrew

This truck has 151k on her and still runs strong.

I was towing my 2500lb bass boat home the other day. I was pushing it (running late) traveling around 75 to 80mph...not smart. I do not have the towing package and was in over drive at the time.

As I was climbing a small hill on the highway I had a burning smell for maybe 3-5 seconds...then went away. I thought it was the truck in front of me. When I got home I noticed some fluid on my bumper and trailer fenders. I also noticed a small 3x3 puddle under my truck. I climbed under and noticed it was wet around the passenger side tranny pan, esp where it looks like some kind of shifter of some sort. I beleive it is tranny fluid and not oil. I checked my oil and level is fine. Also I don't see how oil would leak there...

I'm asuming (tell me if I'm wrong) my tranny over heated and fluid came out the vent hole.

I plan on having the tranny serviced this week. Should I add the extra tranny cooler to avoid this? I noticed i already have two seperate small coolers in front of the radiator...what are they for?

Thanks

Quick Reply: 2003 Ford F-150 5.4 SuperCrew