Modular motor to NP435 trans

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 04:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Modular motor to NP435 trans

I had posted this in another forum but have not found the answers I'm looking for. So I thought I'd try it here as well.

I've been searching and searching and can't find the exact answer I need. I wish to put a 5.4 3V Triton motor into my 91 F150 4x4 that currently has a 351W. The truck should have a 5 speed ZF but before I purchased it the truck was stolen along with the ZF. That's another story.

Anyway, the 351W is on it's way out, slowly. It's going great but I'm experiencing oil pressure issues and have found a lot of grit in the oil.

I have a donor car here with the 5.4 3V. I've found some info giving good insight into engine mounts and other hurdles. What I can't find is what bellhousing I'm going to need to bolt the modular motor to the NP435 trans.

From what I can find, the NP435 trans uses the Top Loader to bellhousing bolt pattern. What I need to confirm is, if I purchased a 4.6/5.4 Modular engine to Top Loader bellhousing, are the input shaft lengths going to be the same and is the bolt pattern definitely the same as the Top Loader?

I've also found info that states the older TKO uses the same bolt pattern as the Top Loader. Modern Driveline go into this on their site. But am not sure if I'm going to have input shaft length issues there too.

This site here was helpful for info on the NP435. It states:

"The Ford NP435 has a 1-1/16" diameter, ten spline input shaft that has a stick-out of 6-1/2" from the front face of the transmission. The pilot tip of the transmission measures ~17mm."

The New Process 435 Transmission - Novak Conversions

This is probably the best site I have found for a bellhousing. But specific details are lacking a bit. I've emailed them but am waiting on a reply.

Aluminum Bellhousing for Ford 4.6L w/TKO, Toploader, or T45RS | Bellhousings | Ford Parts and Accessories | Ford | Keisler Engineering, Inc | Keisler Engineering - KeislerAuto.com

I've also seen that McLeod do a possible bellhousing too

http://www.summitracing.com/dom/part...0-01/overview/

Another thing I am not sure with both of these bellhousing is if I can fit an external hydraulic slave to them?

To throw another spanner in the works, I'm in Australia so local part supplies to not exist for this sort of thing so I really do not want to get it wrong as shipping costs a lot.

Here's a photo of the back of the block with a Windsor bellhousing sitting in place to show you what I am working with. This bellhousing is from another car, I was simply doing this to see what bolt pattern the block had.

Name:  unnamed_zps3088c896.jpg
Views: 2031
Size:  91.1 KB

Thanks all!

Quick Reply: Modular motor to NP435 trans