Gad, trans problems!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 05:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gad, trans problems!

I thought it was just my imagination, but on my recent trip with the truck, I thought it shifted funny. Not sure how to explain it...

Anyway, on Friday LOML and I were driving home from work, I went to take off from a light, and, well the truck wouldn't go at first, then like it got kicked in the shorts BAM and off it went... Shifting into reverse same thing. Getting going from a stop it slides into gear HARD after some serious hesitation. Shifts normally from there, no real slipping.

I parked it when we got home, pulled the dipstick, the fluid is a brownish / red or reddish brown, no burnt smell...

Been doing some reading, and while I know the odds aren't great that this will work, apparently the trannies on these trucks are sort of known for this due to a clogged filter. I am thinking a flush service with a filter and some Lucas Trans fix stuff should at least tell me if I am in for a MUCH bigger repair bill..

I figure after filter, gasket, Lucas additive, and about a case and a half of Mercon V, I should be in the thing for about $150.00 plus a couple of hours tinkering in the driveway...

Is it worth it or so I just need to buck up and drag it to the transmission shop?

A little history on the truck. Truck presently has 95K on it , transmission was rebuilt under extended warranty at about 60K miles due to a flex plate / torque converter that suffered sheared bolts. At 90K I had the trans cooler swapped with the towing package cooler as I had managed to bust the original with a winch (Don't ask, I was stupid!).

Old 12-02-2013, 07:56 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
I'd try it, but do NOT put the Lucas in it.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:12 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
A fluid change would be the first thing I'd try too.

The gasket is a permanent reusable type that is much better than one an auto parts store will sell you or one that is contained in the filter box.

Way back, 1970 Mustang with a C4 tranny quit downshifting when I slowed down and stopped. It would be in 3rd sitting at a stop light. I'd press harder and harder on the gas until it downshifted to first with a slam. A trans fluid change fixed it. It happened again about 50k miles later and a fluid change fixed it again.

Last edited by Roadie; 12-02-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:37 AM
Any recommendations on DIY-ing a fluid exchange? I know just dropping the pan won't touch the fluid in the torque converter.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:00 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
The usual way to get all of it exchanged is after dropping the pan and changing the filter in your case is to put 4 qts in, disconnect the return transmission line to the transmission and run it until you get 4 qts out, stop and refill and repeat until you get all of it out. I think most people doing this at home use a little excess fluid to make sure they get all of it exhanged.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:56 PM
I see 2 different auto transmissions for the 2004 F150, the 4R70W, and the 4R75E. Which one do I grab the filter for?

Old 12-03-2013, 04:53 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
If you have a 5.4 you have a 4R75E.

Mark Kovalsky has a writeup on several forums including this one on how to do a complete exchange yourself. I personally would rather pay a shop to do it with a machine.

Quick Reply: Gad, trans problems!