problem reinstalling transmission. help please

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 06:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
problem reinstalling transmission. help please

i am reinstalling a transmission for a 96 f150 2wd. it is auto with overdrive. i reinstalled the torque converter in the housing and everything was aligned right. when i went to mount the transmission on the truck, i aligned everything up and slid the the tranny forward. the bolts from the torque converter went right into the flywheel. so i had about 1 inch from the housing to the engine block. i pushed the transmission forward more and got all bolts to line up to the block and started to tighten. i did a cross pattern so i didnt mess up anything. i was able to get the 4 bolts on the drivers side and the top of the housing to bolt tight to the engine. on the passenger side, there is about a 1/4" gap between the housing and the engine block and the two bolts are extremely hard to tighten anymore. do i need to redrop the tranny and start over? did i mess something up? i dont want to crack the housing or push the pump back in the transmission. thanks!!

Old 07-29-2013, 06:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like you may not have gotten the torque converter seated all the way. Yes you will have to start over.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:56 PM
Make sure you don't have the wiring harness Pinched between the bell housing and transmission also check for the metal tab up top is not in between the transmission and Block,if that's not it then the Torque converter is not all the way in! Be careful because you can bust the front pump? You didn't hear anything pop did you?

Old 07-29-2013, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Shorty40
Make sure you don't have the wiring harness Pinched between the bell housing and transmission also check for the metal tab up top is not in between the transmission and Block,if that's not it then the Torque converter is not all the way in! Be careful because you can bust the front pump? You didn't hear anything pop did you?
no pop, i stopped as soon as the bolts started tightening and there was a gap. had a feeling something wasnt right. the torque converter spun freely right before i slid the bolts through the flywheel. so i didnt think it would have come out any more. next step is to start over.. woo hoo haha.

Quick Reply: problem reinstalling transmission. help please