Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > Transmissions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 08-07-2011, 08:09 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Trans shifting back and forth from o/d to 4th

Thanks for reading. This is my first post so I hope I'm in the right place for it. Let me give you the specs first

Specs:

2005 f150 lariat supercrew with the triton 5.4
86,000 miles
no tuning or upgrades
no trouble codes

Here's my problem. While driving this weekend on the highway I noticed there was a strange shifting pattern that I has never happened before. At around 45 to 50 mph, the truck shifts back and forth between 4th gear and over drive sporadically. When in overdrive it struggles until I'm up above 70 mph. When I got home I noticed it was leaking ATF from a couple spots, one being the trans pan, the other im not sure of yet. I checked the fluid level to see how much had leaked and it still read near full so it must have just started. I also noticed if I turned off overdrive all together, the shifting problem goes away. The ATF is due to be changed, but I don't want to spend the time and money if the mechanic is just going to pull off the trans to fix it. Has anyone encountered this problem before and have an idea to what may be causing this? Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:09 PM