Bad transmission or clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad transmission or clutch?

How do you know if your transmision/clutch is going out? When i accelerate the truck will sortoff jump, like i am tapping the brakes...i have a manual transmission. Does anyone know what this could be?

Old 05-12-2007, 07:06 PM
Like a jump forward, or a jump of deceleration?

"Jumps" during acceleration are fairly common on trucks. Truck driveshafts are designed to slide in/out of the tranny a few fractions of an inch to compensate for when there's a load in the back(rear end sits lower). Normally this is well-greased and it slides smoothly during accel/decel. If the grease is worn out or dried up, the shaft will suddenly slip instead of smoothly sliding, causing a jerk.

It's not really harmful to anything, just kind of an annoyance. In that case, there's nothing wrong with your clutch or tranny.

When the clutch goes bad it may be difficult to shift out of neutral, or there may be slipping(motor speed increases with no increase in vehicle speed). A smell of burning paper usually accompanies this.

Old 05-12-2007, 07:21 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
RaWarrior is exactly correct. My '99 started doing this after around 90,000 miles. I told the service dept about it and they told me about it. Cost me $5 and I was on my way. It was no biggy... the tech even showed me how to grease everything. He told me it's not a big deal, and not an overly dealt with thing. It's like adding gas...

Old 05-13-2007, 07:24 PM
i know where u live!!!

cody haha i traced your ip

Quick Reply: Bad transmission or clutch?