Tranny acting funny, Please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 05:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Tranny acting funny, Please help!!!

Hi, I have a 1990 ford f150 6cly auto, the trans is acting weird, when it shifts from first to second it acts like it cant make up its mind in what gear it wants to stay in or go in. Now i can get right on it and it goes through all gears smoothly with no slipping. I changed the fluid and filter and still the same thing... Any ideas?

Old 03-20-2007, 10:25 AM
I have an '05 that does the ecact same thing. Ford replaced my tranny under warranty the first time I took it in, saying that the overdrive band shreaded up in the transmission. It fixed it for a few months and it started doing it again. Now, Ford refuses to fix my transmission until I can prove there's actually something wrong with it, denying that it's a problem.

Can't tell you for sure what the problem is, but I can tell you that you can't expect Ford to do anything about it.

Old 03-21-2007, 04:30 PM
Thanks for your reply. Yeah I don t know what the deal is. My overdrive works and everything but hell who knows? Run it till it falls apart I guess.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:15 PM
Does my tranny have a tcm? or is it to early of a year? Its a 90 ford 6cyl auto

Old 03-21-2007, 07:38 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Your two tranny choices are the four speed overdrive E4OD which is electronicly controlled by the engine's computer. It has a display of PRN(D)21 with an overdrive lockout button on the dash.

Smaller chance, from what you've posted at least, of having the C6 which is a mechanically controled three speed non overdrive tranny with a display of PRND21.

If in fact you do have the E4OD, first check for codes from the computer with an OBD1 scan tool, or manually by counting blinks after reading how to at www.fordfuelinjection.com

Adrianspeeder

Old 03-22-2007, 06:50 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by johnszac
I have an '05 that does the ecact same thing. Ford replaced my tranny under warranty the first time I took it in, saying that the overdrive band shreaded up in the transmission. It fixed it for a few months and it started doing it again. Now, Ford refuses to fix my transmission until I can prove there's actually something wrong with it, denying that it's a problem.

Can't tell you for sure what the problem is, but I can tell you that you can't expect Ford to do anything about it.

Since he has a 17-year old truck, it's hard to envision how your story is going to be in any way helpful to him.......

Sounds like the solenoids are gummed up or valve body is worn out....

Quick Reply: Tranny acting funny, Please help!!!