Tranny Swap Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Tranny Swap Help

I have a 95 F-150 4x4 and i want to swap a standard transmission into it, because the E4OD that is in it now is completely shot and i don't want to spend 1800 on a new one here in CT. No one will give me a warranty if i put it in myself. I was wondering what transmissions will bolt up to my 5.8L 351W and not cause any trouble with the computer. i know that standard 5 speeds from the same year will bolt right in but im not sure what the name of the tranny is. I am also wondering what transmissions will bolt right up?, and what the names of these trannys are and what year ranges in vehicles im looking at. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank You

Old 03-20-2007, 02:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi! I tried this with a 4r70W, And it was a joke. Need a longer driveshaft, The ECM from the donor transmission, different connectors for shift solenoids, yadda yadda yadda. Long story short, Fix the E4OD. I have one you could purchase if you like, Came from a running truck. I got a good deal, bought 2 off a wrecker. I borrowed the spring steel finger from the rooster, would only take 30 seconds to put that back on.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:14 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Tranny info page will give more specifics on when and where, but a M5OD from a 300, 302, or 4.2L, or a ZF5 from a 351 will bolt to yer motor. Make sure it's from a 4x4 truck.

The computer doesn't have to be changed if you don't mind a check engine light for all the tranny codes, but it won't affect engine driveablility.

Just get the 351 flywheel, tranny crossmember, pedals from a same as you body style truck, and a clutch master cylinder from donors. New slave cylinder and clutch would be a good idea.

Driveshafts can be shortened or stretched purdy easy by any driveline shop.

http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/show...light=ZF5+swap

Personally I'd ditch that E4ODead too and get a real handshaker in there.

Adrianspeeder

Quick Reply: Tranny Swap Help