4R70w, shift kit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4R70w, shift kit?

I have a 2003 SCrew with 4R70w and 80,000 miles. It is 2wd on stock 275/60-17 tires. It is used mostly as a light duty pickup and/or station wagon.

I had the fluid changed the first time by a trusted local shop at 55,000 miles (late, I know). I know from talking with the owner that they just did a "drain, new filter & fill".

The tranny shutters from time to time but mostly feels "soft" shifting.

I know it is past time to fill it with fresh Mercon V fluid.

I'm going to do it myself this time (soon). I'm planning to do a "drain, new filter & fill" again.

Is there anything else I should do while I'm in there? (i.e. shift kit?)

I don't want to go anything hard core because this is my wife's truck.

I know from reading this forum that the tranny is considered to be weak. Can anything be done to improve them?

Recommendations?

Also,
How do others dispose of their used ATF?

Thanks.

Old 03-16-2007, 05:52 PM
That transmission ain't weak. And unless you do a lot of heavy towing, you ain't late on the drain and filter.

You read too much around here and you'll get paranoid about lots of stuff. Don't sweat it.

When you drain the trans, just funnel the old fluid in some plastic milk jugs. Drop the fluid off at your local Jiffy Lube, or the like. They'll get rid of it for you. And if they give you any hassle, leave it at the door and drive off.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:06 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Take a look a few posts up or info on FactoryTech's separator plate shift kit. That will get rid of the "Caddy-like" shifting without being severe. Just right, in my book.

As for other points: 30K is considered normal change interval from what I've read. Keep in mind that with an '03 you'll only be changing a percentage of the fluid, since you can't drain the torque converter. Of course with no towing/sever duty, that's probably OK. You might want to save the $$ on a new filter if it's only got 30K on it. I've read where guys replace it every other time. Others might chime in on this.

Used ATF can be recycled at many fast-lube places (although the Valvoline in town said no to used oil b/c someone dropped some off with gasoline in it.) AutoZone also takes it.

Andy

Last edited by OhioLariat; 03-19-2007 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:04 PM
Thanks guys.

Ohio, you should have an email from me...

Larry

Old 03-20-2007, 09:57 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Back at 'cha.

Andy

Quick Reply: 4R70w, shift kit?