Autometer Trans Temp Sender too Long

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Autometer Trans Temp Sender too Long

I read one other post where someone broke off a sender inside their tranny and I dont want to do this. I screwed the sender into the test port and there is still 1/4" of thread showing. I already ordered the cylinder head sensor, which is shorter, and supposudly works just the same. I am just currious why more people dont have the same problem I described. It seems like of 100 posts I've read about this sensor, only 1 described my problem. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... Does the sensor have NPT threads. If so it will not bottom out. You just tighten it until it gets snug. The NPT threads are designed to seal themselves. But I would still used some thread sealer or TEFLON tape on them.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:30 PM
You're Right

You're right. My caution held me up. I pulled the test plug and inserted a clean piece of wire and there is plenty of room in there. Installed the sensor, wired it up, took it for a test drive, and about three miles in, the needle pegged at 250*. I started freaking out, thinking the sensor blew out or something worse. Checked it immediatly, the sensor was fine. Drove it home, popped the hood, and noticed that my sensor wire melted against, what looks like, some valve exhaust pieces. So, pulled it off, taped it up, wire tied it away from the source of heat, put a wire loom over it, and I think I'm ready to go.

My first mod.

Thanks everyone on this site for all of their help! The previous posts about the trans temp gauge were invaluable. My only regret is ordering the Autometer NV gauge - it is way too bright, even when my dash lights are dimmed down. Autometer sells a dimmer kit but I dont want to spend the cash.

Old 03-13-2007, 06:13 PM
window tint? maybe?

Old 03-14-2007, 09:28 AM
Either window tint, or replacing the gauge. My wife about died laughing last night. It was her first time in the truck since the gauge was installed. She said it lit my face up so bright green that everyone else on the road is going to think I am Frankenstein. She thought that was pretty funny.

Quick Reply: Autometer Trans Temp Sender too Long