2003 4WD not engaging

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 09:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 4WD not engaging

Okay, this is my problem. I have a 2003 FX4. A few days ago we had some bad winds and snow, and tons of people stuck on the side of the road. So I pulled as many out as would let me, no problem. The 4WD worked fine. Then yesterday I took my wheels off to install mudflaps. Not sure if that has any bearing on my problem, though. Last night my wife and I went to the movies, and afterward the roads were pretty bad. Driving down a main road I put it in 4H, but it didn't seem to work. Later, on a bcak road, the tires slipped out on me. I went about 2 feet off the road. I put it in 4L, got all the lights and everything. When I tried to back out, the rear wheels spun, and the front wheels didn't do anything. After finally getting someone to pull me out, and got back home. I had my wife shift the truck in and out of 4L, 4H and 2H, while I watched the underside. All of the linkage arms appear to be working, and the transfer case appears to be shifting, however still no 4WD. If anyone has any ideas what I can check, please let me know. I don't have the money to take it to a shop, and it's not under warranty anymore. Thanks for anything anyone can give me.

Quick Reply: 2003 4WD not engaging