New Truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Truck

I just purchased a new, F-150 XLT supercab 4X4 (SOF), with the 5.4L engine. I used to own a 2001 XLT supercab 4x2.
Since I have never driven a 4X4, i just want to receive any advise relative to the operation of the 4WD mode.
I have read the OM, but have been left somewhat wanting in the area of 4WD operation. Any pitfalls or concerns? Thanks.

Oh, also, is there some decent website on which I might find somw good reading/reference material???

Old 01-17-2007, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by motor486
I just purchased a new, F-150 XLT supercab 4X4 (SOF), with the 5.4L engine. I used to own a 2001 XLT supercab 4x2.
Since I have never driven a 4X4, i just want to receive any advise relative to the operation of the 4WD mode.
I have read the OM, but have been left somewhat wanting in the area of 4WD operation. Any pitfalls or concerns? Thanks.

Oh, also, is there some decent website on which I might find somw good reading/reference material???

hey just make sure at least once a month you put in 4wd and then back to make sure all the parts stay lubed under there.. also.. make sure you are in neutral when you shift into 4x4... and never drive in 4wd on a street unless its covered in mud/snow/ice etc... when you do go offroad/mudding use 4hi to play around in but if you get stuck in some deep stuff shift into 4low for a lower gear and easy to get out.. if its an 06/07 dont take it offroad.. spend 7000$ for a beater truck and do it with that.. you will SERIOUSLY be sorry if you go take a 05 06 07 offroad and scratch/dent it up. mud never comes out from the bottom of trucks.. i took my truck mudding last time like 4-5 months ago.. still mud under it from that.. good luck.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:27 PM
Thanks

No, I bought the truck solely because I have some property in Tennessee that has a very steep, slippery clay driveway. I was having trouble getting up the driveway in my 4X2, so I decided that a 4X4 was a way to go.
I have no intention of going mudding, or anything of the sort. I don't, however, want to ruin the new truck by playing around with shifting into 4X4 mode if the circumstances are not correct for that. Also, the OM states that I can shift into 4Wh while driving at speeds up to 55MPH. Correct?

Last edited by motor486; 01-17-2007 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:11 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Howdy and welcome to the forum and the world of 4x4. Trust me, very few things you can do to ruin anything and goin wheelin is a lot of fun! "If ya don't get stuck, ya ain't tryin' hard enough" is the line.

When you turn your truck, the front axle spins at a different speed than the rear axle. Unlike All Wheel Drive, Four Wheel Drive has no provision in the transfer case to split the two axles turning at different speeds. Dirt, gravel, mud, snow, ext, allow one of the axles to "give" a bit and free up the bind that can happen on dry pavement. So that's an easy one to avoid.

True you can be moving at speed and shift into 4x4 high, but it makes sense not to have everything lock and come up to speed instantly. Personal preferance for me to be stopped. Low range you must be stopped, in neutral, and foot on brake before the computer lets the shift happen.

That's about it, for warnings and instructions. Any more questions just post em up.

Adrianspeeder

Old 01-18-2007, 09:34 AM
4X4 engagement

According to my information from the dealer, you are advised that up to 88 km/h or 55 mph, when equipped with the shift-on-the-fly transfer case, you can switch from 2H to 4H and back with no problem. Although they do advise that when switching to 2L you should be stopped and in Neutral. When equipped with the floor shifter though I'd advise you to stop and place the vehicle in neutral as I've seen far too many transfer cases on the side of the highway.

Old 01-18-2007, 12:44 PM
Thanks

Thanks for the input. Like I said, I don't want to screw the new truck up, and I know nothing of operating a 4X4, so all advise has been welcomed. Thanks.

Quick Reply: New Truck