4R70W trans won't shift past 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 01:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4R70W trans won't shift past 2nd

I'm posting this up to see if anyone else has had a similar problem with their 4R70W transmission, and what was the outcome. I've used the search already, but none of the previous posts I found really were conclusive.

Truck is an '00 F-150 XLT 4.6 V8 with the 4R70W auto tranny. Approx. 117,000 miles. Last week, out of the blue, the tranny quit shifting beyond 2nd gear. Take-off from a start no problem, shifts 1-2 as it should, then it sticks in 2nd up to exactly 3000 rpm, then shifts into a false neutral. At this point the only way to get it back is to manually shift into either neutral or 2nd, and then back into drive, which puts it back into 2nd gear and starts the process all over again. It just won't shift beyond 2nd.

Dealer diagnostics say "internal transmission problem" and they recommend purchasing a reman unit for $3000... OUCH... Took it to an independent shop and they pretty much say same thing... "internal problem - we'll have to take it apart..." $$$

Anybody else experience this problem? What did you do??

Old 01-16-2007, 02:30 PM
3 gran ouch, seems mighty high to me. I would suspect a forward clutch failure and agree the trans needs gone through,but usually the cost should be about half that, I know thats about what I charge, installed.
Alan

Old 01-16-2007, 03:26 PM
Mine did the same thing then my reverse went out afterwards...To make a long story short, I have a reman. tranny in it now lol...Ruined my christmas. Good luck

Quick Reply: 4R70W trans won't shift past 2nd