C6 auto trans no top gear.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 10:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C6 auto trans no top gear.

Hi,
Seasons Greetings.
I have recently bought a 390 v8 with a c6 transmission, both are 1966 vintage. The trans tends to be slow engaging to start the vehicle moving. This occurs in forward or reverse, and seems worse in cold weather (below freezing).
Now in addition to these acceptable faults, there appears to be no top gear.
My questions are, 1 - Where do I start to troubleshoot this/these faults?
2 -Are there any books like Haynes manuals that would give me the info I need?
I have searched intensively on the Internet, and I cannot find the same exact fault regarding the top gear described anywhere. There also seems a tendency in all forums to just suggest a rebuild - I am in Canada, it is winter, and too darn cold, I have no garage, so I want to put this rebuild idea off until Spring. What I need right now is top gear, the slow engaging I can put up with. I have the mechanical knowledge to drop the pan, tighten bands etc, if I have specific instructions on exactly how. What I do not have is the cash to pay a shop.
Some other sources seem to say that the modulator is bad, but do not specifically describe any symptoms, just that the mod valve controls the shifting. The fluid level is normal, but was low when I got the vehicle.
Any help appreciated.
thanks,
John

Old 12-25-2006, 10:44 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Howdy and welcome!

The modulator is on the passenger side and does control the shifting, so it's the first thing to change. Pretty cheap and pretty easy to get a new one. Also check the vacuum line running to it for breaks or rot.

390 in '66? If this is a truck it should be a 352.

Adrianspeeder

Old 12-25-2006, 07:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks

Hi and thanks for the info. We all have to have a starting point, and the modulator is a nice low cost/effort one for me, not too greasy, either!
It is actually in a car right now, a 66 Mercury Meteor. The plan is to run it (the car) into the ground (it is not show quality) then to take the running gear (unless it is toast) and put it into a truck, as I prefer the size and hauling capability and will be retiring soon, and it might be handy for making pocket money.
Appreciated,
John

Quick Reply: C6 auto trans no top gear.