Clutch Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 08:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch Questions

I have a 98 f150 with the 4.6L with the manuel tranny and know i have to replace the clutch. I have strong backround in automobiles and do all my own repairs but i am taking a jump into unknow territorie. I have never messed around with a manuel. I have a couple of questions. The truck has 160000 miles on it and hasn't been replaced to my knowledge. I have three questions.

1.) Other than the pressure plate, friction plate, and throw out bearing, is there anything else i need to replace while i am down there to begine with.

2.) Does any one have a stage two clutch. I am thinking of spending the extra money and geting one. But i wnat to know if they wear out faster or give any problems. What is the pros and cons of a stage two.

3.) Is there anything that else that i should know or any tricks to the trade before i start.

Any help in this matter would be greatly used.

Old 12-21-2006, 09:14 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Might as well do the slave while you are there.

4x4?

Adrianspeeder

Old 12-21-2006, 09:18 PM
more info

Yeah its a 4x4

Old 12-21-2006, 11:41 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Start squirting the Torsion bar adjuster with a lot of penetrating oil. It will most likely be stuck on the torsion bar. A BFH will be needed to persuade them off. Will you be doing this on a lift? In the driveway? I have done both and I prefer the lift. If you are doing it in the driveway a floor jack and ratcheting tie down straps keep the t-case and then the tranny from falling on the ground. A shop manual would be a wise investment. There is a gasket for the t-case to tranny adapter. If you tear it during the separating of the t-case to the tranny don't worry. Silicone works just fine. Just be sure to keep the drain hole clear of any silicone.

JMC

Old 12-21-2006, 11:52 PM
Even more info

I will be doing it in a shop with both a floor and lifts on it. I have all the jacks and stuff. Which do you suggest.

Old 12-22-2006, 09:16 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I meant to write a hoist not a lift. Sorry. Well if you do it on a hoist it is easier to use the hammer if you need to pound the torsion bar adjusters off. When you are unbolting the tranny it is best to remove the two top bolts first. They are the hardest to get the socket on so when you are fiddling with them and you have the weight of the tranny on them it makes it more difficult. If you don't have the torsion bar tool that unloads the bars don't worry. Lift the front wheels off the ground and loosen and remove the adjuster bolt. Be sure to count the turns and reinstall the bolts to the same number of turns.

JMC

Quick Reply: Clutch Questions