Messing with transfer case???

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 09:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Messing with transfer case???

HEY guys iv got the AWD 06 harley. I found out how to disconect the awd and make the car rear 2wd. I disconected a black wire/plug goin into the transfer case. that disables the AWD, when i get in the car the 4x4 light flashes on the dash. Is this bad for the car to drive with the AWD off. I gues you could say i am freewheeling the AWD. Im not that familiar with the whole thing i just basically disconected a wire. Any thought plz i really would appreciate any input here

Old 12-13-2006, 03:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
personally i would not mess with anything especially while your still under warranty. if something goes wrong dont give ford any reason to not fix it.if you didnt want want full time awd why not buy regular 4wd with regular transfer case.

Last edited by keith97xlt; 12-13-2006 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Let me preface my response by explaining that although you CAN perform this mod, it's not a good idea. The way the case is designed, the internal mechanism is not designed to tolerate extended periods with significant differences in front and rear driveshaft speeds. Tire-roasting burn-outs and 2wd dyno acceleration runs, while fun, can and do damage the clutches in the transfer case.

Now, that being said, I don't have access to the '06 schematics, so I cannot quote wire colors. However, the general theory behind it is that by clipping a single wire and installing a switch, you can cut the power flow to the transfer case clutch coil and, therefore, stop the transfer case from locking, thereby providing you with true two wheel drive. On Explorers and Expeditions, that particular wire is brown, and is fed by the GEM and TOD relay in the dash in early generations, and by the 4wd control module on later generations. Again, without access to the schematics, I can't even tell you where to begin on that one...

Maybe someone can post the schematics here soon. Good luck!

Old 12-13-2006, 07:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BABA4488
I found out how to disconect the awd and make the car rear 2wd.
Why would you want to do this?

Old 12-13-2006, 08:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's a little tough to impress the women with tire-roasting burn-outs when you have all wheel drive. Because, you know, chicks really dig that kinda stuff, y'know?

Personally, on my Explorer, I don't like the programming, the shock-loading of the front drivetrain when it engages suddenly in automatic mode, and don't like the handling characteristice when it repeatedly engages and disengages in snowy conditions. Additionally, on a selectable-range case (i.e. one with 4low, not his) it provides the driver with 2wd LOW range. No need to disengage the transfer case on the trail. Simply flip the switch, make the tight turn in 2wd low, and reengage it on the other side.

On an F-150??? I see no need for it, other than I'm a control freak and don't want some stoopid engineer to determine when the rear wheels should spin and when they shouldn't. At least they made it selectable so you can lock it into 4high.

-Joe

Old 12-13-2006, 08:25 PM
thanks for your input i think i will be re-conecting my AWD now. If i was to run with the AWD disconectedc constantly would I just burn out the AWD box and be able to run in 2wd safely???

Old 12-13-2006, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by casey_1
Why would you want to do this?
People disconect the AWD because 4wd dyno's are hard to find. And also the AWD burns more fuel i think, i seem to be getting around a mile more per gallon.

Quick Reply: Messing with transfer case???