do i need to rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do i need to rebuild?

i have a 03 4x4 5.4 f-150 w/auto transmission. the problem is that when going from park or reverse to drive there is about a 3 second lag before it actually engages in drive. i took the truck to a local tranny shop and they told me the clutch plates were bad and i needed a total rebuild, costing 1200 bucks. I've checked the fluid and it's full and still red, but did kinda smell burnt. this problem started after i had gotten stuck and foolishly went from R to 1st rapidly a few times to try and rock it out. i'm just wondering if it's worth trying to fix the problem by changing the fluid and filter. i do have a warranty that i puchased with the truck, but i'm not sure if they'll cover it untill it's really broke. any advice is welcome.

Old 12-10-2006, 04:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would take it to another reputable shop for a second opinion. a few rapid shifts from getting stuck doesnt seem like it would kill it. a fluid and filter change really cant hurt, at least you can check out the pan see if you have all kinds if metal shavings ,signs of damage etc..

Last edited by keith97xlt; 12-10-2006 at 04:40 PM.

Quick Reply: do i need to rebuild?