Clutch sticks to the floor

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 03:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch sticks to the floor

My 1993 5.0L Flare Side, I went to start up today and when I pressed the clutch to the floor and turned the key it lurched forward. I then pulled it into neutral and started it find. I let her warm up, went to engage the clutch and the pedal sticks to the floor and I am unable to get it into gear.

Is it likely a leaking master cylinder? Are these clutches dot3?

Old 11-26-2006, 07:54 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Master and/or slave cylinder.

Old 11-26-2006, 08:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It,s hard to say exactly what your problem may be from here. You may have a small leak in the master cylinder, slave cylinder, or the hydraulic line between the two, but that's not too likely if you didn't notice it getting gradually worse as it ran out of fluid. The hydraulic line may have busted. You don't say if you have a 4 speed or a 5 speed. with the 4 speed you have an external slave cylinder and some more linkage going into the housing, some of this may have failed, not so likely. Well anyway anyone familiar with these could quickly diagnose it. The simple first thing to do would be try adding yes dot 3 brake fluid to the clutch master cylinder. NOTE: there is a large rubber cup under the cap of the master cylinder you must remove before adding fluid. (my '88 F-150 is that way anyhow)

Old 11-26-2006, 09:16 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's undoubtedly the slave cylinder. They're famous for blowing out. If you look under the truck, you should find brake fluid (what the clutch uses) dripping out of the bellhousing. If it's coming from anywhere else, I'm wrong.

Note that you have to either drop the trans or pull the engine to change it.

Old 11-26-2006, 10:19 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Great info Massy, but as far as I know the '92 was the last year for the four speed and I've only seen one of those.

Adrianspeeder

Old 11-26-2006, 11:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check hydraulic line first

OK, it must have a 5 speed with the internal slave cylinder. On my '88 with a 5 speed, I have a plastic hydraulic line between the master cylinder and the slave cylinder. The plastic lines will fail. My neighbors did on his '90 F-250 with a 5 speed. The point I want to make is diagnose carefully. You don't want to pull the tranny to replace the slave cylinder if that is not the problem.

Quick Reply: Clutch sticks to the floor