Vortech Tranny issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 01:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vortech Tranny Problem need help

Hey Guys,
I installed a Vortech supercharger in my 04 F150 and the trans blew on me not 250 miles after the install. I know what your thinking but I don't drive like a teenager. The trans was under warranty barley at 33000 miles. After the new one was put in, the new trans can't decide what gear it wants to be in 3rd or 4th cruising between 33 and 40 MPH. It keeps shifting back and forth. I'm on my second Diablo programmer thinking that was the issue. Still a no go. What's up?

Last edited by SF Medic; 11-25-2006 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:48 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
I have two opinions to offer so please don't take it wrong.
First, why a centrifigal blower on a truck. They need too much rpm to make boost when a positive displacement would have been so much more pleasurefull to drive with. The converter won't take excessive amounts of winding over the long term just satisfy the blower use.
Secondly, the chip may have been programmed with data in the upshift program line and the down shift program lines that are to close in value. What now happens it the PCM truly cannot decide what gear to stay in. That's the best I can do for the discription since you cannot change it, only the vendor can do this. These are cross-over values. IF it is even the problem.
Sorry I can't do more than provide some insight.
Good luck.

Old 11-26-2006, 07:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the help Bluegrass. Went centrifugal to save a little in gas milage not really want to have the boost preasure up all the time, just needed a little extra passing juice. Thats the second programmer having the same issue. Wonder if Diablo knows this is happening?

Old 11-26-2006, 05:52 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Bear with me a bit, but putting on a blower for fuel mileage is far from cost effective when you consider how much gas can be purchused with the total spent, the lost transmission so far, and the continuing cost of using the blower just from it's parrasitic drag effects..
It is a myth to think a blower will increase fuel mileage for the following reason.
You stuff more air into the engine by any means, the Ox sensors detect this and go right back and richen up the fuel to bring the air/fuel ratio back to center. You can't break into that loop action by putting a blower on. It cost fuel/money to run a blower besides the extra load on the engine.
If you drive like foot on egg shells, you may possibly see very little loss/ gain in fuel mileage but then the idea of the whole project is nullified.
BTW, I run a Kenney Bell blower on a 5L going on the 5th year and this is not hot air advice.
Hope you can see the bottom line here.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: Vortech Tranny issue