Clunk!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clunk!!

Have been doing some searching and seems to be a commom problem with the newer F-150's .. I have an 05 4.6 4x4 and sure enough Clunk Clunk Clunk! This is the second time ive brought it to the dealership. Now they are going to replace the driveshaft and use some "speical" greese. Guy talked to me like i was a complete dumbass..

Also my new tires are sitting in the garage waiting for her to come home.. They are 315/70/17.. So my question is , will this end the clunking because i dont want to put the tires on so if it does happen again i dont want to hear "its the tires that are causeing the problem"..

Old 11-29-2006, 03:26 PM
Its the rear end ive had 3...........going back for the 4TH........30000miles

Old 11-30-2006, 10:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if the clunk is occuring when you take off from a dead stop, its usually the drive shaft yoke... it slides into the transmission.. there is a special type of teflon grease that goes in the yoke... if the yoke is not greased thouroughly, it will stick when you stop. thus making the drive shaft slightly longer, then when you give it the gas, the yoke brakes free and slides forward producing the clunking sound... if this is the case, the grease will cure the problem... my drove me crazy, thought the tranny was going out..

Old 11-30-2006, 12:15 PM
Check your state's lemon laws... My dealership finally replaced my driveshaft once the truck became lemon law eligible, and that has solved the clunk problem. They'll just keep repacking it with grease as long as you'll let them, which is only a band-aid.

Quick Reply: Clunk!!