Testing Your Knowledge

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 09:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Testing Your Knowledge

I have a 1997 with he E4OD Tanny in it. About a month ago the OD light was flashing and it was shifting funny so I rolled it into my local ford dealer and they told me the torque converter slipped and wanted me to replace the tranny. I didn't do it and they reset the codes and the trany has been fine since. Except I noticed that when I hit the gas on take of I now get a clunking sound like when you have sloppy U-joints, so I had the U-joints checked by a different shop and they said they were is great shape. SO my question is could that noise be coming from the tranny? Or any other Ideas of what could be making the noise. it is not start that until the trany went nuts last month.

Old 11-01-2006, 11:37 PM
man a clunking could be anything from a bad leaf spring, bad shock, loose motor mount, loose tranny mount....... the list goes on, heck maybe even a bad ball joint. you should try and issolate the sound and go from there. maybe try giving all the grease fittins u can c a squirt or two... just a thought

Old 11-02-2006, 12:48 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
This is blowing my mind - specialy after reading your post - I too have an E40D , just cleaned my MAF and new filter and reset the computer per instuctions and now my trans slipping problem went away. I've been babying it for 2 months now. I don't get it?

Most common "Clunking" issue is spline to shaft grease - the lack of. Theres a TSB on it -

FORD:
1998-2004 F-150

ISSUE
Some 1998-2004 F-150 4X4 vehicles with a one piece drive shaft may exhibit a clunking or grunting noise and/or a shudder sensation from the driveline. The condition will typically occur during fight to moderate acceleration from a stop and/or braking. This may be caused by the slip yoke not sliding smoothly on the transfer case output shaft splines.

ACTION
To service, lubricate the slip yoke with Teflon Grease (D2AZ-19590-A). Refer to the following Service Procedure.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Road test the vehicle to verify the condition.

2. Remove the driveshaft per Section 205-01 of the Workshop Manual.

NOTE INDEX (MARK) THE DRIVESHAFT YOKE TO AXLE FLANGE FOR REASSEMBLY.

3. Lubricate the slip yoke with 7-13 grams (0.25-0.46 oz.) of Teflon Grease (D2AZ-19590-A).

4. Re-index and reinstall the driveshaft per Workshop Manual.

5. Check the transfer case fluid level and add MERCON Automatic Transmission Fluid XT-2-QDX if necessary.

6. Road test to verify the condition is corrected.

Parts Block

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

040106A Lubricate The Slip Yoke 1.0 Hr.
With Teflon Grease
Vehicles With One-Piece
Driveshaft (Includes Time
To Remove And Install
Driveshaft)

DEALER CODING
CONDITION
BASIC PART NO. CODE
4602 42

Good Luck

Old 11-04-2006, 09:59 PM
I am going to try this ans see if it fixs the problem. Can you tell me how a torque converter slips I didn't think it could do that unless it breaks some teeth off.

Old 11-05-2006, 09:19 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I reallt don't know if it can aswell - My trans itself slips..

Old 11-05-2006, 11:06 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
The TC is a hydraulic mechanism, no gears....

TC slip is measured by the computer by comparing the rotational speed of the crankshaft with the rotational speed of the input shaft as measured by the Turbine Speed Sensor (TSS). When the TC is commanded to lockup, the input and output speeds should be the same. If there is a difference, it is calculated and present as a slip ratio. An excessive ratio will set a code, typically a P1744.

P1744 code is usually caused either by a hydraulic fault that reduces the TC clamping force or by worn friction components inside the TC that are slipping.

Quick Reply: Testing Your Knowledge