97 F150 Shudder/Shake

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 06:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 F150 Shudder/Shake

I have a 97 F150 extended cab 2WD 4.6 auto. Has a shudder at times (not consistent) between 50 and 60 mph. Also has recently developed a pulsating vibration that starts just at 70 mph and seems to settle out just at 75 mph. I have chased bad tires (new Michelins), wheel bearings (replaced in front), differential (replaced carrier bearings), new u joints, new slip yoke in drive shaft, front end alignment, new leaf springs, have had checked and rechecked all front end suspension compnents (replaced lower ball joint). When the truck starts shuddering it can shake the entire truck. Transmission fluid and filter has been changed at 30K mile intervals. I read somewhere that torque converter can cause this type problem. Was also thinking a transmission flush might help. I spoke with someone at AAMCO who said it could be a TC sensor or solenoid which they could check out if I brought it in. Anybody experienced a similar problem? Wanted to get some input before I take the truck in and let them start poking and charging.

Old 10-28-2006, 08:42 PM
I beleive that the issue is the oil in it. It "has" to be the MERCRON 5V oil used? Most of the trucks didnt come with them from the factory but were upgraded/refilled/TSB with it. Most of the transmission shops dont or didnt do this untill recently.
Any other oil in there will not work. I have had the same issues in my trucks and went through hell trying to figure it out. One trip to the dealer with all of them took care of it. They changed the old fluid that came in my trucks (mercron something or another) and flushed and refilled w/5v and all was well.
Try this if you dont already have it in there. Drain, flush, refill (I would suggest buying it from FORD to be safe) and change the filter.There was a TSB on this at one time addressng this.
If this is what you have in there then maybe someone else has some ideas.
There might be a copupon on Fords website or around somewhere to get it done at the dealer fairly cheap. If you get it done else where take your oil with you to make sure they put the right one in there. This problem will usually return in about 1-2000 miles if the wrong oil is used to refill after a flush/fill.
Good luck.

Last edited by heavy hauler; 10-28-2006 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:47 AM
Thanks

Had a transmission flush yesterday and drove 100 miles or so. Transmission seems to change a little smoother but still have the pulsing vibration come in about 70 pph and settle out about 75 mph.

Old 10-29-2006, 01:16 PM
varney,

check for play in the extension housing... just a thought.

Jay

This thread may be of some help to you...

Old 10-29-2006, 02:53 PM
Extension Housing Play

As I said earlier the slip yoke that goes into the back of the transmission has been replaced with a new yoke. I checked for play and the yoke has quite a bit of movement (seems more than I would expect for normal) inside the transmission extension housing. There is enough up and down movement to hear a bump when you shake the driveshaft. I looked at the old yoke that was replaced and it has several shiny spots which appear to be wear. Could this be caused by a bad bushing in the housing?

Old 10-30-2006, 02:57 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by varney
As I said earlier the slip yoke that goes into the back of the transmission has been replaced with a new yoke. I checked for play and the yoke has quite a bit of movement (seems more than I would expect for normal) inside the transmission extension housing. There is enough up and down movement to hear a bump when you shake the drive shaft. I looked at the old yoke that was replaced and it has several shiny spots which appear to be wear. Could this be caused by a bad bushing in the housing?
That's most likely your problem , you need that bubblegum grease on the spline - if that vibration hasn't already wore something out , it will soon..
How long has it been since you did the carrier bearings - I'm thinking rear end service (fluid) has been increased to every 15,000 - friction modifier breaks down pretty quick - I haven't used the ford factory modifier when changing mine because I've read that people have had continuing problems when doing so. last time I used Valvoline's additive and it still working well - I've heard Red-line is good as well.
Anyway, something to think about, it could be contributing to your problem.

I think if the bearing was bad it would leak. Then again it's possible that it may not. I'll see if I can locate the TSB's , I have them somewhere.

Here's a link to my f150 online gallery(lol) - Possible DRIVELINE VIBRATION causes -

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...496&anum=10943

Found a few TSB's , they all said the same thing -

TSB -
Driveline - Clunking/Grunting Noise/Shudder
Article No.
04-1-6

01/26/04

^ NOISE - DRIVELINE CLUNKING/GRUNTING NOISE
OR SHUDDER SENSATION DURING LIGHT TO
MODERATE ACCELERATION AND/OR BRAKING

^ TRANSMISSION - DRIVELINE CLUNKING/GRUNTING
NOISE OR SHUDDER SENSATION DURING LIGHT TO
MODERATE ACCELERATION AND/OR BRAKING

FORD:
1998-2004 F-150

ISSUE
Some 1998-2004 F-150 4X4 vehicles with a one piece drive shaft may exhibit a clunking or grunting noise and/or a shudder sensation from the driveline. The condition will typically occur during fight to moderate acceleration from a stop and/or braking. This may be caused by the slip yoke not sliding smoothly on the transfer case output shaft splines.

ACTION
To service, lubricate the slip yoke with Teflon Grease (D2AZ-19590-A). Refer to the following Service Procedure.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Road test the vehicle to verify the condition.

2. Remove the driveshaft per Section 205-01 of the Workshop Manual.

NOTE INDEX (MARK) THE DRIVESHAFT YOKE TO AXLE FLANGE FOR REASSEMBLY.

3. Lubricate the slip yoke with 7-13 grams (0.25-0.46 oz.) of Teflon Grease (D2AZ-19590-A).

4. Re-index and reinstall the driveshaft per Workshop Manual.

5. Check the transfer case fluid level and add MERCON Automatic Transmission Fluid XT-2-QDX if necessary.

6. Road test to verify the condition is corrected.

Parts Block

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

040106A Lubricate The Slip Yoke 1.0 Hr.
With Teflon Grease
Vehicles With One-Piece
Driveshaft (Includes Time
To Remove And Install
Driveshaft)

DEALER CODING
CONDITION
BASIC PART NO. CODE
4602 42

Good Luck

Last edited by jbrew; 10-30-2006 at 03:00 AM.

Quick Reply: 97 F150 Shudder/Shake