Swapping 3.55 For Either 4.11 Or 4.56

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 10:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swapping 3.55 For Either 4.11 Or 4.56

I own a '03 Ford F-150 4X2 Supercrew 4.6L with a 3.55 ratio limited slip axle. I am purchasing an Attitude Toy-Hauler (23AK) that will weigh approx 7500 lbs when full of toys (2 1/2 quads), water and fuel. With the 3.55, the owners manual has two entries for maximum trailer weight: 6600 and 6900 lbs.
First - why the two weights? How do I determine which applies to my truck?
Second - If I replace the current 3.55 with 4.11, what does that do for me in regards to additional weight I can pull?
Third - If I move up to 4.56, would that be a smart move?
Fourth - Don't say buy a bigger truck, I can't afford it at this time!!!
I understand that with increasing the ratio, my low end will be better, but on the high end I will lose power and speed. When I am not pulling the trailer, is there anything I can do to get the power back?
I have also added a Volant Air Intake Cooler, Magna-Flow Cat-Back Exhaust, and have a HyperTech Pwr Pgmr. Truck has a 6" lift and has 33" tires. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Last edited by cwo4king; 04-10-2005 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:09 AM
With the lift and 33" tires, you need 4.11 gears, for towing I'd say get the 4.56 gears and some overload airbags, it will help, if you want to make up for lost power then supercharge it!

Old 04-13-2005, 08:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The tow rating is less about "can you pull it" and mostly about what is safe given the axle weight ratings, brake performance and safety of the complete package. You push the safety envelope at your own risk. I would not exceed the allowable weight by that much, remember the gear and people in the vehicle is part of the formula.

Last edited by desparado; 05-11-2005 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:42 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Agree..

Hi. I agree with Desparado - you are risking much. People and beer weigh something too.

Remember, you are already behind the curve with the oversize tires alone - your 'effective' gear ratio is less than 3.55 so your weight rating is even *less* that the lowest number posted.

Also, your lift, at highway speed, is killing your efficiency (robbing more of your of available power) to tow.

Hate to say it, but either reduce your trailer load to a safe and reasonable level, or get a bigger truck.

You are trying to put lipstick on a pig.

Cheers

Old 04-17-2005, 02:34 PM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Having just gone through this senerio, you are way over the safe capacity of the truck "without" the raise and large tires.

You need to investigate your state's towing laws as well as the truck's capacity to tow.
One look at the combined weight rateing, reguardless of anything else, should tell you something.
Having the truck raised makes the suspension more reactive to push from the trailer, to boot.
Another thing you have is less brake capacity with larger diameter tires. The distance from the center to the tire patch is greater and results in a longer leverage, the swept brake areas has to deal with.
Then there is the matter of who's at fault in event of an accident. Even if you could not avoid a situation and had an accident as a result of loss of control; you will be looked at for contribution to the accident using unsafe towing combinations.
One word.......don't!
It's not enough to say or hear that someone else does it and it's fine.
The extra money you have invested could have gone into an F250SD, hooked to your new trailer and go have fun.

Last edited by Bluegrass; 04-17-2005 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:35 AM
SWAPPING GEARS

Thanks to all for the guidance. Obviously, reducing the weight of the trailer is the answer...just wish that the Weekend Warrior SuperLite was a little cheaper!!!! Anybody want to donate to the "get me a bigger truck" Fund!!!

Thanks,
Mike

Old 04-20-2005, 07:03 AM
Trailer:
Try Carson trailers they have good prices and moreless might be in the price range and maybe weight class fully loaded. My Cusian who cheated me and got a toyota tundra the new style has a custom 22 foot toy huler, and he pulls fine. just even empty he gets massive sway (toyota has a crappy rear end for towing heavy loads i guess) i think Carson's Website is http://www.carsontrailer.com. i would bet that they could better help you, they do custom trailers (to a point and with in reason) i think my causins trailer out the door price was 16,400.00, but he didnt get a lot of opptions.
Like no ducted air(cost more) just the down vented 13500 btu air. no generator since he has 5000k, no fuel tank or pump station, he also supplied Carson with a lot of things that he can get at lower cost, like the door ***** on cabints, sinks. he also had custom leather wraped around the seats so it was easier to clean and is more durable. He also go smooth sides as well on it which are like 3500 in its self!!! but he was able to supply a lot to level out the cost. I would check them out and see what they can do for you cost wise and im almost sure you should have no problem towing the trailer. Of course you know that as other said you DO need to factor in your weight, friends, wife, kids if any, dogs as well as the fuel in your trucks tank, and ANYTHING riding in your truck to judge the weights. You also should never tow on a full tank of water, or gray/black for long periods(try to dump as soon as you can). Im sure your truck can do it...just be careful, and leave LOTS of room in from of you...

Botton line check out Carson, and yea maybe you should look at the cost for the 4.56 gear change and weigh that. then you could upgrade your truck to a new F 150 that can handle it and im sure you would have no problems.

Other in the Towing section would recomend tranny temp gages and others, so might wanna look into that to.

Quick Reply: Swapping 3.55 For Either 4.11 Or 4.56