Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > Transmissions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read VendorsGarage

Transmissions SPONSORED BY:

Old 11-26-2004, 08:52 AM
Garage is empty, add now

1998 F150 Whining Noise- Help

whininig noise starts at about 10 miles per hour and increases as you drive faster ,pulled rear axles out and inspected bearings on,axle bearings seem alright and axles had a little pitting and scuffing ,crown and pinion looked fine ,not sure if noise is coming from rear end or transmission,has anybody else have this problem?
Or can help.
Thanks
Ken F.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:27 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1999 Ford F150
I have a 98 Expy with the e4od, and mine whines in 1st gear until it shifts into 2nd, but I'm pretty sure that is normal, since every automatic transmission whines in 1st gear, just most people don't hear it. If anyone doubts it, just listen, all automatics from any brand of vehicle does it, especially the good old chevy TH350 trans. Does your whine continue or eventually stop in your truck? I've owned a 02 FX4 F150 with a 5.4 4R70W trans, and that thing whined in 1st gear.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:54 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Yep,my 97 4R70W whines too.

2007 F150, 4.2 V6, 106K Miles
Old 12-03-2004, 11:44 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1999 Ford F150
Does it stop when it shifts into 2nd. If so that is normal whining, all trannies do it. Test it out if you don't believe me, put your auto shifter in 1st and slowly accelerate till around 25, and let your foot off totally, you'll hear the tranny whine. Of course do this with the radio and stuff off. After that, put your shifter in D and drive normally, you'll hear 1st gear whine, it'll shift into second, and the noise stops, then thrid comes along, and fourth. No noises in fourth....I hope!
Old 12-03-2004, 11:44 PM