Towing & Hauling

load covering question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 09:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
load covering question.

not sure if this is the best forum for this but here goes. I just bought my first truck a brand new 2016 f150 as I am getting some CNC equipment that I want to take around with me to shows. Due to the nature of it I am trying to keep the equipment dry and I don't want to buy a trailer for two pieces of equipment that will easily fit in the bed. The problem I am running into is one of the pieces is a filter system that is just over bed height. Talking like 27" with a bed height or 21" so a tonneau is out for when hauling it. I am also going to be hauling an ATV at times so I can't do a topper and honestly don't like the look for this truck.

So that is what brings me here, you guys have the experience and hopefully you can point me in the right direction. Both pieces should have either feet/wheels to keep them up if there is a little water in the bed it is more rain directly on them that I am worried about. I am hoping for something that fits the size of the bed and I can tie down to the mount points inside. Does something like that exist? The closet I found is http://www.autoanything.com/hitch-be...ator-mesh-tarp but it is mesh vs solid tarp.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:57 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...lt?q=tarpaulin

They have eyelets for hooking bungee cords to them for tiedown.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:42 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I would NOT carry any kind of electronics or a machine tool under a tarp or a tonneau cover. Especially if you intend to take it to shows and exhibit it. Use a cap and take it off when you want to carry your ATV OR better yet get a small trailer to carry the ATV on. The other thing that you might consider is carrying the CNC machine in good shipping container and putting that in the bed of the truck; providing that there is room for all of that. Something like this one <http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAIC-STORAGE-CASE-SHIPPING-CONTAINER-38X44X26-/272358600615?hash=item3f69d66fa7:g:oygAAOSwMgdXxe7 0>.

But it sounds like what you really need is a van and not a truck.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:39 AM
I would not use any tarp you buy at harbor freight (or any other home improvement store)
The highway speed driving will shred them fairly quickly.

I think the best thing for your situation (given the constraints you have listed) would be to find a semi truck tarp maker. They can make you a custom tarp to fit your load and tie-down points. This will be the same kind of tarp you see covering rolls of steel and other items on the back of a semi.

If you have them integrate the straps / buckles it should be quick to install.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:42 PM
I think I might have found a solution, I was able to find a different model of filter that while taller should be able to if under the tonneau on its side. I am thinking I might go that route because I can then get a locking tonneau and not have to worry about theft as much.

The question that comes up with that is probably more for the tonneau forum because it is do I go basic or do I go over kill and get a diamond back ATV cover. I love the idea of them but there is just something about an ATV sitting on top of the bed that is a little scary at the same time that it is cool.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:17 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I would not put an ATV on top of a tonneau cover! First, I would worry if the tonneau would strong enough to hold it; particularly over a long drive with a lot of bumps and bouncing around. Second it would be difficult to get an ATV up high enough to get on and off. On my FX-4, the top of the tonneau is probably close to five feet off of the ground. Third, I'd also worry about where that ATV would go if it broke loose or if you ran into something and came to sudden drastic stop.

If you do decide to go with a tonneau I would get one that goes OVER the bed rails instead of sitting inside them. I think that they're a lot more secure and that there's a lot less chance or rain getting inside of the bed.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:28 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
For your situation, a topper would work best.

As for loading ATVs on top of tonneau covers, I've got over 1000 miles like this with no problems.

Name:  20150831_203547_zpsjngn4rtn.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  117.3 KB
Name:  20150831_203559_zpsjbnitncx.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  158.2 KB

Quick Reply: load covering question.