Towing & Hauling

Towing capability

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing capability

I have a 2013 Ford F-150 Lariet. 6.2 L V8. Lariet plus package, max tow package. Super crew cab. 3.73 axle. 8 ft bed. I'm wondering if this is capable of hauling the Jayco Eagle HT 5th wheel. Unladen weight 8375, dry hitch weight 1545, GVWR 9950. These Jayco HT are supposedly able to be pulled with a half ton. Model of 5th wheel is 28.5 BHDS. Do you think my truck can do this?

Old 07-16-2016, 11:22 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Ford doesn't make a crew cab F150 with a 8 foot bed.

Go weigh your truck. Subtract that weight from the GVWR on the door jamb sticker. That is your max allowable payload. Payload is everything you put in the cab and bed, including people, plus the weight of the hitch and the pin weight of the 5er.

Personally, I think I'd go with a smaller trailer. That's just pushing the numbers too close.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:29 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I was about to make the same comment, Ford didn't put an 8ft bed on a Supercrew. Maybe you meant Supercab. Regardless, my biggest issue with pulling these trailers is not having the power to pull it, but having the power to stop it. Most likely this trailer comes with one axle with drum brakes. Would you drive and find acceptable a truck that only had brakes on one axle that weighed in at over 8000lbs? Stops will be incredibly long. Either opt for brakes on both trailer axles or get a bigger truck, preferably with dual rear tires. Then again, it's only yer life we're talking about.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:57 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I haven't seen a TT with dual axles and only one of them with brakes on them since the late 70's... My #5000 TT has dual axles and brakes on both of them and it's a 2003 model. They are also torsion suspension and are really #3500 axles each!

Anyway, the 6.2 and the 3.5 Eco has the same basic tow ratings in the Max Tow package, so power is not the issue.. Payload will be.

My Max Tow has #1920 payload per the yellow sticker. Actual weight with the stuff I've added, plus my fat *** brings it down to around #1500 of actual payload weight.

Your truck will tow whatever you want to hitch to it.. How much over weight you want to go and what's a comfortable tow for you is all on you to determine..

Sounds dooable, if you don't mind being over payload and possibly over rear axle weight , but only real weights are going to determine that...

Good luck!

Mitch

Last edited by MitchF150; 07-17-2016 at 11:03 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:57 AM
Agreed to all the suggestions. Also, I think, for towing a fifth wheel, by your's kind of truck would not depend on the weight. But on the payload and real axle weight. I am not that much involved in the towing stuffs. My friend had been doing auto shipping work since a decade, so I am conveying his message to you.

Old 07-18-2016, 12:22 PM
Payload will be your biggest issues. A fully optioned Lariat is heavy, reducing your payload significantly.

Factor in your passengers, cargo, and receiver before you know if you have enough capacity for the pin weight.

(my guess is you won't).

Here is the tow guide... read and understand it.

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...rv&tt_f150.pdf

and, like others have said - figure out what you are driving. Probably a 6.5' bed?

Old 07-21-2016, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by Petsitterlisa
I have a 2013 Ford F-150 Lariet. 6.2 L V8. Lariet plus package, max tow package. Super crew cab. 3.73 axle. 8 ft bed. I'm wondering if this is capable of hauling the Jayco Eagle HT 5th wheel. Unladen weight 8375, dry hitch weight 1545, GVWR 9950. These Jayco HT are supposedly able to be pulled with a half ton. Model of 5th wheel is 28.5 BHDS. Do you think my truck can do this?
https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/asset.download.document.pdf.html/content/dam/fordmedia/North%20America/US/2014_Specs/2014_F150_Specs.pdf

Here are the weights for our trucks. Your payload appears to be 1730 unless otherwise stated on your window sticker or doorman sticker. Dealership can provide a re print with all included options that came on vehicle. 1545#'s isn't including cargo so if you factor that in, you will be over gvwr of vehicle with the tongue weight on the truck. Also check with your local state laws in regards to how much you can tow with your license, California is where I live and they are strict with the gcwr.

Quick Reply: Towing capability