Towing & Hauling

Which WDH is best?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 05:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which WDH is best?

So I am likely buying a new travel trailer to tow behind my 2012 Supercrew FX4. I am planning on selling my old Eaz-Lift WDH with the old camper. I will need a new one and I was wondering what you all thought about some of the various models out there.

I am tempted to go with the Eaz-Lift again since it is around $250. I also looked at the Fastway E2, which is around $300. The advantage of the Eaz-Lift is that it is something I already know. The advantage of the E2 would seem to be integrated sway control.

Does anybody have an opinion on either of these two? I would rather not spend much more than $300. Also, how hard is the installation of these? Are there other models I should consider?

Thanks!
Patrick

Old 07-17-2016, 11:20 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
"The Best Hitch" is whatever hitch works for you... The Hensley costs around $3,000 brand new... You can usually find used ones for around $1500 or less... Setup and hitching up is a lot more complicated from what I've seen and heard on them. I wouldn't use one even if you gave it to me for free.. I'd take one for free, but I'd just sell it and keep my current hitch setup..

The two you mention are the only ones I've ever used, so no idea on all the others out there personally... It seems that the hitch someone is using is the "best thing since sliced bread" to them, so there you go.. In other words, a very subjective topic!

I use the good ol' Eaz-Lift setup and it's served me well.. Any properly loaded and setup trailer will not just sway going down the road.. If it does, you don't have it loaded and/or setup properly..

Wind, passing vehicles, quick maneuvers, act of God, etc can induce sway, but if it's setup properly and you don't just panic at the wheel, can be corrected pretty quick and easily in most cases.. Of course there are going to be circumstances that are beyond any hitch or ability at the wheel, so that's my disclaimer on my statement..

All that being said, IMO, there is no "best hitch" system out there because no one tows the same setup or has the same towing expectations or experiences as anyone else...

Get what you think will work best for you and go from there.

Good luck!

Mitch

Last edited by MitchF150; 07-17-2016 at 11:26 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got the blue-ox swaypro on my new camper this year.

I like it for the following reasons:
- grease is contained within the head (the bars do not get greased)
- hookup is fairly easy
- built in sway control based on angle of the bars

My old camper had the "standard WD hitch" and a friction sway control. You always had to be careful to crank the handle just right to get enough friction. Otherwise you stop to adjust later. One time I had it too tight and bent the mini ball that it attaches to.

Quick Reply: Which WDH is best?