Towing & Hauling

Rear Shock replacement for towing

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 08:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Shock replacement for towing

I am looking to replace the rear shocks on my 2011 F-150 Platinum. I tow a 8.5 X20 enclosed race trailer with it. Trailer is about 2900 lbs, car is 3000 lbs. Tools tires and stuff about another 500 lbs. All total just under 7000lbs. When the truck was new it towed perfectly level with my standard hitch set up. Now with 60K on it the front end is starting to lift. I am looking for suggestions on new shocks that work great for towing.
Thanks
Jim

Old 08-19-2014, 09:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bilstein makes a really good shock that is a little more HD for towing. Also, since you said the first 60k miles were problem free, you might consider going with OE Ford shocks again. If they worked the first time, they'd probably be good again.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:21 PM
Bilstein HD's or a similar shock would be good for towing. But shocks aren't going to return you back to your level state.

Your springs are worn from the heavy loads so you'd either need to invest in something like an add a leaf to give your rear end extra lift so when loaded it's closer to level, air bags so you can raise the rear when loaded, or just new leafs.

I'd recommend the air bags if you spend a decent amount of time towing, they're a good investment.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pizzaman711
Bilstein HD's or a similar shock would be good for towing. But shocks aren't going to return you back to your level state. Your springs are worn from the heavy loads so you'd either need to invest in something like an add a leaf to give your rear end extra lift so when loaded it's closer to level, air bags so you can raise the rear when loaded, or just new leafs. I'd recommend the air bags if you spend a decent amount of time towing, they're a good investment.
Good point, peetz.

Although it wouldn't hurt to still replace the shocks with 60k on them, airbags would be the best bet to cure the sag. Add-a-leaf works too, but the change in ride height is pretty inconsistent with that. With the airbags you can adjust the level yourself. Firestone makes a good set. Ride Rite I believe?

Old 08-19-2014, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the input. I have about 7k of towing miles out of the 60K. I guess looking at replacing the shocks and getting an air system will be something to look into.

Quick Reply: Rear Shock replacement for towing