Towing & Hauling

Trailer Lighting plug

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2001, 10:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Trailer Lighting plug

I discovered on my dad's 01 lightning that the trailer wiring hookup plug is a dual-plug (a 7-pin and a 4-pin side by side), thereby eliminating the need for that dumb 7 pin to 4 pin adapter... does anyone know if it's the same plug on the other end (i.e where it mates to the vehicle harness)?? I would like to have one if it'll work. It's just one less plug-in connection to fail while trailering.

Thanks.

------------------
98 Explorer (Lemon Law Case in Progress)

'00 F-150, X-cab, 4x4, Lariat, Off-road, Trailer Tow, Holandia Sunroof, built 11/99 picked up 10/00!Clear Corners, Manik Stainless Steel 1-piece brush guard, Custom CB wiring, Uniden PC76-XLW CB radio with K-40 Magna-Mount antenna (for now), 1 set of 165 watt KC Daylighters (for now... more on the way) Custom switch mounting plate and overhead console, Bully Stainless Steel Trailer hitch drawbarw/ 2" stainless steel ball.
List of planned mods: Clear tails, torsion bar tweak, bug deflector, spray in liner, and a tonneau of some sort...

93 Probe GT teal, OE rims painted to match, bone stock drivetrain.

Old 03-06-2001, 09:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe it is. That was the combination plug harness first used on the F250/350's in late model year 2000. It plugs right up to the stock harness in those and I think also in the F150's too. They are realy nice. I did not get one on my early F250 but I convinced the dealer that it was a mistake and he got me one. Mine just had the four prong too. But the new one just plugged right in where this one came out. All the wires were already there in the harness for the 7 prong too.

Why don't you try moving it from your Dads to be sure before you make him order you one.

The plug up under the truck is a bit tough to get released. It has a plastic tab on one side (If I remember correctly and I am pretty sure I do) that has to be depressed all the way to release the bond. But it will unplug. I used a set of channel locks opened up to get a grip on it and aligned the channel jaw over the tab so whan I squeezed it depressed the clip and I could pull at the same time. And it slipped right out. And there is just a bolt (or two?) holding it onto the bumper. Should be an easy experiment to do. Beware of the black greasy stuff all over the underside of the truck. It will get on you and is hard to get off.

Old 03-06-2001, 08:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I never thought about that... I'll pull his out this weekend... or at least crawl under it and see what it has... I actually want to make up a custom bracket for mine... I hate the way it hangs down off the bottom of the hitch tube... the one on my 97 was constantly getting tweaked going through steep-edged mud puddles, or when backing into a snow-bank in the winter. I'm going to see if I can make something that will allow me to have the wires come down between the bumper and the cross-tube instead, sort of angled down, so it won't hang so low. Maybe next week.

-Joe-

Quick Reply: Trailer Lighting plug