Better Towing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2002, 03:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Better Towing?

Okay, back after a few month hiatus, racing season is over. At any rate, I own a 1998 Crew Cab 4wd Lariat, sb. The motor is the 5.4 with the automatic, tow package, and presumably, 3.55 gears and trak lok.

My question, what axle is this? It's not the 9 inch, but what is it called? Reason being, I am thinking I want to go to 3.73's to make my towing a little easier and want to look at some different ring and pinions.

Next, anyone here use the LP25 from Hellwig? I'm looking at the progressive units, rated for an increase of 2500 lbs. All I want is the axle windup to stop while towing my race car.

If you have any suggestions, drop me a line. I love this truck, just wish it was a little better at towing.

Old 09-27-2002, 08:58 PM
Thumbs up

I had a 96 bronco with a 4'' lift and towed my boat I put air lift bags on the rear springs and it helped alot.

Old 09-28-2002, 11:11 AM
If you have 3.55's now and want to change gears, you may be disappointed just going to 3.73's. Don't get me wrong, I have 3.55's and if 3.73's were available in 2000 for a 2wd Expy I would rather have them. However, the difference isn't much. I tow a 7500# boat with 3.55's and it's great.

If you do want to change gears, I'd suggest going to 4.10's. Most people report normal driving improvments like better city MPG. And of course it's easier to get a load moving and depending on the truck, you may get into the power band better are the speeds you need it. Personally, to improve towing for me even more, I'd like to bump up the RPM's a little in the 55-6 MPH range. 4.10's might just do that, bit that would just be "in a perfect world" for those times that I only want to run 55-60 and have a little more "umf" at that speed.

Anyhow, gears aren't cheap so you should get you're money's worth of improvment too. Others have actualy done gear swaps and will come along and give their testimonials. You'll probably find that 4.10's aren't "too much" as I once thought they would be.

Quick Reply: Better Towing?