Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > Suspension
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Suspension SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 07-23-2002, 08:46 PM

Vehicle: 2000 ford expedition
front end "clunk"

Been reading this forum for some time now and just decided to become a member. I have a 2000 Expedition XLT 4x4 that has recently developed a front end "clunk". It usually happens at low speed when turning but is intermitent in nature. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-24-2002, 06:44 PM

Vehicle: 2003 FORD F250 SD 6L
Hi CDN

I have no idea what it is. But...the same thing happens on my 99SC 4X4.

Turning real slow (not in 4X4)..have noticed a bang or maybe clunk type noise. Has happened more than once. Maybe its wheel parts hitting stop? Only time ive noticed noise.

Anyhow...havent found parts laying on ground yet.

Good luck
Old 08-13-2002, 03:31 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Ford F150
You know I have had that problem on my 98 for a couple of months. It happens when turning. Sort of like what happens when a CV joing of a front wheel drive car goes out. But this happens when it's not in 4 WD. Which correct me if I'm wrong, but the front axle should not be turning at all when in 2WD. So it shouldn't be the CV joint. But as soon as I figure out what shocks I'm going to put on it, I will check it out then. But if anybody can save me time I would appreciated it!!!

Thanks
Old 08-15-2002, 03:42 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Ford F150
Well I read on other posts that it might be the Ideler arm and to grease it! Well I did and I still have the noise. And boy did Ford screw up there! Have they not heard of 90 degree Zirk fittings!
Old 08-16-2002, 12:28 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Ford F150
crashthings
Those front cv shafts do turn in 2wd. It's sentral disconnect system so the front drivetrain does turn but the front driveshaft doesn't. Basically it just discoonects the front axle from the t-case.
I have a similar bump bump bump in the steering that is either the cv's, maybe the idler arm, or one Ford tech told me it could be the lower steering shaft. The steering shaft does have some play and the Ford tech checked the play against another truck, but the dummy checked abused lifted truck. Of corse the lifted truck is probably going to have loose parts due to all the strain.
When my front hub bearings went bad at 130K miles I had a bump in the steering also, but you could hear slight bearing (grinding) sound.
The cv's will sometimes "pop" when in a bind and when driving you can hear a thump thump sound. Other times they can be nosie free but still be bad and cause you to think a wheel is unbalanced or you have worn suspension parts.
Old 08-18-2002, 06:15 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Ford F150
Had something like that once. Turned out to be a lose shock mounting bolt.
97 150 Super Cab 4x4, 4.6, 3.55, 265/75R16. Added: Ford running boards & molded mud guards; Class IV receiver; Delta Truk Pockit boxes-2; Dupli-Color roll-on liner on bed front & sides; Bed & tailgate mats; Ventshade Stepshields; Monroe Reflex shocks; Steel Horse Bull Ring cargo hooks-4; Extra leaf in rear springs; Lund Interceptor bug shield; Transmission cooler;
Old 08-18-2002, 06:15 PM