Shock question, yet again

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2002, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Shock question, yet again

It's been a while since I've posted here, so if I'm asking a reoccurring question, I apoligize. I'm looking for a new set of shocks, and I'd like some feedback on your preferences and experiences. I've got a '98 reg cab, shortbed, 4WD and I'm looking for a better ride, better control, and less roll. I get a lot of bounce and hop on any type of bumps, which figures because of the shortbed. I'm still running the stock (junk) Goodyear RTS, but will be upgrading to the BFG AT's. Anyway, I've looked at the Rancho 5000's, heard good things out of the 9000's, and good things about Bilstien and Edelbrock. I've read some of the current posts, but most are about lowered and 2WD trucks. Anybody have any insight for a 4WD? Money is somewhat of a concern, but if it's a good investment, I'll buy what I need. I'd be willing to buy a sway-bar, but if I get good shocks and like the ride, I don't see the point, unless someone convinces me otherwise. Thanks for the help.

Old 07-18-2002, 01:31 PM
I put Rancho RSX's on my 4x4 Expy and love them. They dramatically improved ride and control without being too rough. I've had 5000's in the past and they were too harsh for every day driving (plus I'm not getting any younger). I considered the 9000's but too gimmicky for me....I'd set them on a medium setting and never adjust them.

Old 07-18-2002, 02:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yep, this is one of those things that if 20 people reply you will get 20 opinions. Although, after searching around I think you will find it unanimously come down to either the Edelbrocks or 9000's. Couple votes here and there for the others, but that will be your majority. Pretty much boils down to what "you" want to spend your money on because you can't really go wrong either way. I'm going with the Edelbrocks next month, FWIW.

Old 07-18-2002, 03:15 PM
RS9000's here - put them on my last truck and have them on order for this one. When I put them on the last one, they eliminated some of the problems that I had (and you mentioned) like wheel hop and body roll. I could probably live with some of the others that have been mentioned, but I like being able to adjust the ride when I am towing/hauling a load of any size.

Old 07-18-2002, 07:33 PM
SHOCKS

I installed the Edelbrocks on my '00 SCab ORP, and the Rancho RSX on my '01 SCab ORP. They are both good shocks, but I think that the Edelbrocks are worth the extra $$.

Old 07-18-2002, 08:44 PM
Talking

I'm very happy with my Monroe Reflex. Vast improvement over stock (of course anything is been better than stock). Bought them when there was a rebate on but were still more affordable than some others. If I had unlimited funds, I most likely would have gone with the Rancho 9000s in order to have the adjustability but you can't have everything.

Old 07-19-2002, 09:01 AM
Thanks

I appreciate the feedback. I'm still looking and debating, but the advice at least gives me a good start. It's a matter of finding the best prices now.

Quick Reply: Shock question, yet again