I need some advice on sway bars.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2002, 09:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I need some advice on sway bars.....

Hello everyone,

I am wanting to go with some sway bars to help control my beast at my newly found speeds.

I have the supercab longbed. The extra bed length gives traction and roll a real challenge at higher speeds.

What brands of bars have some of you used. I found in my early research that the bars come in different diameters. What sizes do ya'll recommend?
Are they very difficult to install? Any special tools needed?
Should I consider front and rear for best control? Is rear only ok?
Should I replace my factory shocks with the bars and which shocks?

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.

Rocks

Old 07-14-2002, 09:56 PM
I put a hellwig rear sway bar on my 02 supercab and noticed a big differance in handling, install was pretty easy but the directions werent that good, also took off my stock shocks and put on some Rancho RSX self adjusting shocks, also a nice difference, firmer ride. If you have the stock shocks on your 97 im sure they are worn by now, these two mods gave my truck a much better ride.

Old 07-14-2002, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by FootBall
I put a hellwig rear sway bar on my 02 supercab and noticed a big differance in handling, install was pretty easy but the directions werent that good, also took off my stock shocks and put on some Rancho RSX self adjusting shocks, also a nice difference, firmer ride. If you have the stock shocks on your 97 im sure they are worn by now, these two mods gave my truck a much better ride.
Thanks for the input Football.
If you don't mind, a couple more questions.
*Did you use any special tools?
*What diameter bar did you get?

Rocks

Old 07-15-2002, 10:28 AM
GREAT mod. This is one of those mods where you will immediately feal the difference.

Hint: Go to the store and pick up a JC Whitney catalog for $3. There is a 10% & 15% coupon in it (orders less than $150=10%, more than $150=15%). The sway bays are only $125 in the catalog. $125 - 10%=$112!

Install is a breeze for the most part. Just verify all the nuts and bolts fit together BEFORE you start thr install. I had an issue with course thread nuts and fine thread bolts.

There are no special tools required for the install. A 5/8's and 3/4 inch socket, and an open end or adjustable wrench. I don't remember any other tools. Make sure you have some rags handy, it is not a clean job!

Quick Reply: I need some advice on sway bars.....