Shocked at how easy it was...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2002, 08:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Shocked at how easy it was...

I recently installed a full set of Edelbrock IAS shocks on my 2001 F150 4X4. I was surprised at how easy it was, and thought I'd share some lessons learned while its fresh in my head:

Lesson #1 - Make sure you check all the boxes to ensure the store gave you the right shocks. I didn't, and the salesguy at Mopac in Vancouver Canada had given me a wrong rear shock. Problem was I had already removed the stock shock before checking the box!! It wasn't hard to get it back on, but damn I felt stupid for not checking the box first. (the salesguy did leave a message on my machine, after he realized he gave me the wrong shock).

Lesson #2 - Get a buddy to help you out if you can. I could have done it alone (I did the rear shocks alone) but a friend can help when two hands don't seem like enough. When we put on the front shocks we dropped them in from above, got the bottoms bolted and then the two of us used our not so mighty strength (we are software developers) to compress the shock and fit the top part into place.

Lession #3 - Remove all the shocks first. This way you get a rythm going and remember what you are doing. I kind of did it haphazard yesterday, removing then adding one and found myself going... now what did I do here again?

Lession #4 - Check the new shock bushings carefully. I have seen posts where people have recieved substandard bushings. They should be fairly thick and have no cracks in them (should look fresh and lightly slippery). Thankfully the ones I got were in good shape

Lession #5 - Clean the metal parts of the truck where the bushings will contact the truck. It can be a little tricky to get the shocks into place and if the metal is clean it helps them slide in. I used a little WD40 on one cause it wouldn't go in easily. A good wire brush and some soapy solution is good. I recommend safety glasses cause lots of dirt goes flying when you start scrubbing under there.

Lession #6 - This is kind of obvious, but when putting the front shocks on it helps to turn the tires as far as they can go to give you easier access.

Lession #7 - Note that the shocks reuse the bottom bolt and nut. The Edelbrocks don't have a new bottom bolt in the box. Also if you have a rear spare tire, it helps to remove it out of your way for extra room under there.

All in all it was a good afternoon project, and two hours and four beer later it was done and I took it out for a test ride. First thing I noticed was much improved braking and less body roll in the corners. The bumps don't go away, but It was a much smoother ride. So far I am a happy customer.

Anyone else out there put on their own shocks and have advice to give?

Old 06-09-2002, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the info, lessons learned are always nice to hear. btw Welcome to the Forum. Very nice first post.
Jes

Old 06-09-2002, 09:14 PM
Thanks, I used to be member before but I can't remember my member info. This site rocks for having good information from those who've gone ahead and returned with bloodied knuckles and wisdom in their eyes.

Old 06-10-2002, 12:43 PM
Heres my lessons learned for Rancho RS 9000's

There are no instructions on how to install the dust boots. What I learned the hardway is that you must pull the boot almost all the way down the shock tube because a stock f-150 has very little travel and the boots bunch up bigtime. It also helps to punch an air hole in the boot at the top of the shock because rancho puts the holes at the bottom of the boot and they don't work once the boot is pulled all they way down.

Rancho does not supply a lock nut for the rear pin (Top of shock) so you need to go out and buy a second nut to lock down the first one to prevent it from backing out.

Oh one more thing the stock shocks are all metric and Rancho's are standard. And an air ratchet with a deep socket might get stuck when you try to get the top nut off the stock shocks.

Other than that these shocks are great I love the ability to adjust them!

Good luck-

Old 06-12-2002, 08:14 PM
I agree with hcmq. I just recently installed the Rancho RS 9000's along with Hellwig's Rear Anti-Sway bar. Both went on w/out much hassle and the results are tremendous. The shocks are fantastic for flexibility when I tow my 27 foot TT and the Anti-Sway bar makes so much difference in stablility.

I currently run the front shocks at level 2 and the rear at level 3 adjustment. It rides very nice. Highly recommend these mods if you tow a TT or other unit.

Quick Reply: Shocked at how easy it was...