2002 Hop and Bounce?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2002, 07:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2002 Hop and Bounce?

I just purchased a 2002 F150 4x2 Supercab Lariat with 17" Chrome wheels and BFG Long Trail tires and the "freeway hop" is very bad, maybe to the point of being unsafe, and the shuddering after road bumps is quite prevalent. My dealer says there is a TSB to cover this(but no parts yet). My rear shocks are both mounted from the rear of the axle. Should I also have the passenger side shock moved and/or should it have been in the forward position already? I hear that the Screws, Lightnings and Harleys all come with staggered shocks. I have had Supercabs before and it was never this bad. What else can be done, and is the the dealer going to be able to help with this problem? (and what parts are they talking about?) Thanks, KOT.

Old 05-31-2002, 12:33 AM
I have the same problem, bounces so bad that on certain freeways I need to travel in the slower lanes.I called a few ford techs some time ago but they were not to helpful. As of now I have three 90LBS. sacks of cement ridding in back (not cool) The extra weight does help, I also lowered my tire psi. to 32. Both rear shocks are also mounted behind the axle, I thought about trying out a set of shackels called Velvet Ride, they are suppose to smooth things out a bit, have anyone here tried them ? Also does anyone know the TSB# for the hop/bounce? Thanks.

Old 05-31-2002, 12:33 PM
Looked but could not find any TSB's in the system for hop/bounce. Tried to find old TSB for '97 (see thread "need some suspension education") and it is no longer on the system.

Old 05-31-2002, 01:15 PM
I too have a simillar problem. Its the 'after bumps' bouncing that gets me. I just replaced all 4 shocks with rancho RSX. It helped, but did not eliminate the problem.

My 'test' is to give the bumper a sharp push, almost like your doing cpr. You can then feel the harmonic reverberation in the frame. It only does this in a vertical direction, if you push from the side, not much happens.

I also replaced the trans mount, as you can feel the vibration/bounce the most at this point, But after all this, it still has the bounce.

Its almost as if there is some combination of bushings/suspension mounts that are giving way to the bounce.

Old 05-31-2002, 01:47 PM
Try this: Open your tailgate and let if fall - let the cables stop it. Watch the cab shake vertically on its mounts. The vibration does not dampen out very quickly. It almost looks like the frame has a "hinge" in it between the cab and box. I believe is is also a contributing factor to what you feel in the seat.

Old 05-31-2002, 04:53 PM
Wow Guys, I can't thank you enough for your help with this problem so far. I am going to look in to all this ASAP and keep on the Ford people(they said there was a TSB and all they needed were the parts) about correcting the ride problem. I will report back any success /failure. BE SURE and look at thread "need some suspension education"

Old 06-01-2002, 10:17 PM
I talked with a guy that had just installed a set of Velvet Ride shackels on his '02 chevy, he told me that the ride only improved about 25%. I may still order a pair and try to find out what ford has to offer,maybe a combination of shackels and whatever ford has may help.

Quick Reply: 2002 Hop and Bounce?