Thumping noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2002, 01:25 PM
Jag
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Thumping noise

Have an issue on my '98 I thought some of you may be familiar with or maybe point me in the right direction.

When turning, and I don't mean around the corner, but more of a long sweeping curve, I can hear (barely) and feel (barely) a "thump, thump thump...." noise coming from the front of my truck (it's a 4x4). It's also apparent going straight on some types of road surfaces, namely black top. My brakes are fine, i.e. rotors aren't warped. It's been an issue for about a year, but seems to have gotten more prevalent recently.

I can only think of 3 items that may be causing this:
1. Tires
2. Half shaft CV joints
3. Wheel bearings

I can't seem to duplicate the noise when I have the front end jacked up and spin the tires and turn the wheels in different positions.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, hoping this is not an uncommon problem and others have dealt with it?

BTW, I have about 35K miles on the truck.

Old 05-23-2002, 07:44 PM
Have you checked your ball joints? Unfortunately they dont have grease fittings. I got a needle for my grease gun and shot some grease into the rubber boots. It seems to have worked for know.

Old 05-27-2002, 03:56 PM
You may want to check for loose nut(s) at the bottom of your shocks. I had a strange thumping for a few months, nothing shaking, everyting seemed tight when on a jack. I pulled my front tires off to inspect the brakes & rotors before I put new tires on (just to make sure everything is ok)--found both front shocks the nuts were loose on the bottoms. They were not falling off, but loose enough that when you hit a bump or turned, the shock moved slightly, making a thump. I tightened the nuts, the thump is gone. It is worth a look.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:19 PM
Ever figure this out??

I am suffering same symptoms.

Mark

Quick Reply: Thumping noise