Coil spring vibrations!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2002, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Coil spring vibrations!!!

I've been dealing with a virbration for a while. Mostly I can feel it in the steering wheel but also slightly in the seat. I've been going through a whole list of possible causes.

Maybe:
-Bad tires
-Wheel bearings
-Shocks
-Exhaust
-Engine
-Transmission
-Engine and transmission mounts
-Differential
-Steering shaft
-Drive shaft & U-Joints

GRRRR!!!!It's really been bugging the hell out of me because everything has checked out just fine. If I rev the engine in Park or Nuetral, everything is perfectly smooth. Whenever I'm on the highway I have a constant vibration in my seat and in the steering wheel. Not a shake but a vibration.

Last night I was under my truck pulling and banging on steering and suspension links when I inadvertently hit the passender side coil spring and it sounded like a tuning fork. So I hit it with a rubber malet and sure enough, it buzzes and vibrates. I started hitting the spring and touching different parts of the truck and I can feel everything from the bumper, to the frame, and body vibrate. Even the mirrors vibrate when I hit it.

I removed the wheel to get a better look and noticed that there is a rubber damper (Ford calls it a "coil spring insulator" P/N::F65Z5415AA . $4.55) on top of the spring but not at the bottom. Is there supposed to be a damper between the spring and the lower control arm??? I had my lower ball joints replaced a few months ago and I'm wondering if they forgot to put the dampers back in there. I'm not willing to play around with a spring compressor so I'd like to know before I call the shop and tell them to take it apart and put it back together properly.

Old 04-30-2002, 09:07 PM
The insulator is only supposed to be on top.

Did you try rotating your tires to see if the vibration changes? Also with the front wheels up, check for loose wheel bearings.

If you are feeling it mostly in the steering, then it could be related to the tires, so rotating them would move a suspect wheel to the back. Also loose wheel bearings would cause steering vibration.

Old 05-01-2002, 05:14 PM
Thanks, G Patricio.

I've been through everything you'd mentioned, and more.....

Quick Reply: Coil spring vibrations!!!