Help - Knocking from the front end?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2002, 10:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help - Knocking from the front end?

My truck has just picked up a knock or rattle that I can feel through the steering wheel. It feels like someone's hitting the frame with a rubber mallet as I accelerate or decelerate.

I thought it might be a worn suspension piece (tie-rod), a looses exhaust hangar, or maybe a bad engine mount.

Anyone have a similar experience?

The truck's under an extended warranty, but I'd like to go into the service center with some ideas.

Old 03-11-2002, 12:38 PM
Mine just started something similar to this in the past few weeks. When I run over wash-board type bumps it feels like there is a dead-blow hammer banging against the frame in the front. It seems worse on the driver's side than on the passenger's side. I had a local shop check it out and they coundn't find anything wrong. I checked cab mounts, motor mounts, trans mount, etc and could find nothing. It's definitely there though. Could be ball joint-related but there's no tell-tale loosness in the steering or any bump-steer or anything like that...

I'm puzzled...

Old 03-24-2004, 05:51 PM
Location: Spokane WA (that's Spo-Can dumbass) and NO I'm not close to Seattle.
Mine sounds like it's coming from the front drivers side at about 30-35 mph, still there under 4wd, coasting in neutral, etc. checked brakes, drive shafts, front axels still no clue, most noticable when going down hill. Anybody?

Old 03-25-2004, 12:05 AM
hey

i have a 2003 f150 crew cab and have the same annoying problem/noise from the front end.....anybody outhere figured this one out, trow us a bone

Old 03-26-2004, 03:34 PM
Sway Bar Bushings

Check your sway bar bushings/bolts. I just replaced mine about 20 minutes ago. Had a knock coming from the drivers side, exactly like you all, and couldnt find out what the problem was. Didnt want to spend 180 bucks for dealer to fix something that I could fix myself, so I crawled back underneath it and found the bolt head for the sway bar had snapped off. They are fairly easy to replace......and both sides for nut, bolt, spacer insert, and bushings cost 60 bucks. Easy fix. Hope this helps!!

Quick Reply: Help - Knocking from the front end?