Steering Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2002, 12:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Steering Problem

My 1997 ford F150 supercab seems to have excessive pull to the right. I took it to the dealership and they did a wheel alignment and said that it was out and that the problem should be fixed. This being said it still pulls to the right. I don't seem to have any abnormal tire wear.

Anybody else have this problem? What could it be besides a wheel alignment problem.

Old 03-03-2002, 12:40 AM
I'd take it back and have them do it again if they charged you for it and didn't fix the problem.

If it's a '97, there could be some worn suspension and steering components that should be replaced to get the wheels properly alligned.

You may want to jack up the front wheels and push and pull from the top and bottom to see if there is any play. If there's play or any kind of noise, this would be an indicator that something is worn out and needs replacing.

I think there are a lot of mechanics that will attempt and allignment even with worn parts because it's the simple fix and may last a few thousand miles. It gets the customer in and out but doesn't fix the problem.

Old 03-03-2002, 09:26 PM
You could have worn or bent suspension parts that could cause a problem. However they should have cought this with the alignment. Here's something you can have them do, or do yourself. Switch the front tires side to side and see if it pulls to the left or if it doesn't pull it all. Some tires can cause a pull due to a manufacturing defect called conicity. If the swap solves the problem your all set. If the pull switches to the left rotate the tires to the rear and you should be ok (until you rotate them again).

-Jon

Old 03-18-2002, 11:36 AM
It turned out to be the conicity problem with the tires.

Quick Reply: Steering Problem