Anyone have Gabriels?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2002, 04:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have Gabriels?

Since Gabriel makes Rancho, would it make sense that a high end shock from Gabriel would compare to the RS5000 or RSX? If so, it should be a hec of alot cheaper to get the Gabriels and still get great quality. And, if so, what type of Gabriel would you suggest? Thanks for any info.

Old 02-11-2002, 12:02 PM
I purchased the new Gabriel Mono shock (around $50 ea.) from JCWhitney...put them on and what a difference from stock.

On my test drive, I bottomed out the front on the bumper stops (body-to-frame). Continued driving about 35-40 mph and the ride felt just like a 65 Chevy Impala with 200000 miles on the stock springs and shocks. These new Gabriels are absolute crap. I returned to my garage and pulled off the new Gabriels, put the stock shocks back on and the ride was 10 times better...no BS. Very disappointing. I'll be sending these back to JCW for a full refund.

After putting the stockers back on, I jumped on the internet and ordered a set of HD Bilsteins ($65 ea) from PerformanceProducts.com...the front's just arrived a couple days ago, but haven't had the time to put them on yet.

PS: My SCrew just turned 16,000 miles.

Old 02-11-2002, 01:46 PM
Don't know much about the Gabriels, but I did plenty of searching here before I got my shocks. Everything I found says if you are going for some mild offroading go with the Rancho 5000. If you want some adjustability for towing heavy loads or really playing around offroad go with the Rancho 9000. If you are going for the street truck get the Edelbrock IAS shocks. The shocks made a huge difference in the ride of the truck. That coupled with the new tires and 2" drop made a huge difference!

Good Luck!

Old 02-11-2002, 10:08 PM
Hey Area 52, think you could keep me posted on those Bilstein's. Im very interested in them and would like to know how well they actually work. Thank you.

Old 02-14-2002, 12:10 AM
TO: thewhiteford...

Just today, I received the rear Bilsteins so now I don't have any excuses but to get those suckers installed ASAP. I'll do a follow-up post with the "test drive" results of the Californy freeway slaloms.

Old 02-14-2002, 12:19 AM
Area 52,

i've owned several sets of Bilsteins over the years and have always had great service out of them. severe abuse on farm trucks and as a younger man beating them to death off-road. i think you'll like them. i'm putting a set on my truck within the month. my stockers have 44,000 on them and they are toast. good luck, Rich.

Old 02-14-2002, 12:26 AM
Thanks Rich....I can't wait to get them installed!

Quick Reply: Anyone have Gabriels?