Noise coming from front driver side wheel well.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 10:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
At the risk of being obvious - have you made sure you don't have a piece of gravel or something jammed behind the rotor dust shield?
Might have been too obvious as I didn't think to check but I just did and no rocks and the dust shield isn't touching either.

heres another video showing how much worse it has gotten.

Old 11-26-2016, 11:03 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
SOMETHING is rubbing when you turn the wheel, if it isn't the dust shield there's something not right with the bearings.

I would lift the caliper and pull the rotor. Inspect the dust shield and rotor for any signs of rubbing. Pop the bearings out, clean them, the inside of the hub, and the spindle - inspect for any kind of damage. Regrease the bearings, reinstall with new grease seal and use proper torquing procedure. Check for ANY play that shouldn't be there.

A slight possibility - did you bend both ends of the cotter key over after installing it? If not, it could be rubbing the inside of the dust cap. Easy enough to check - pop the dust cap off and drive it.

Old 11-26-2016, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by glc
SOMETHING is rubbing when you turn the wheel, if it isn't the dust shield there's something not right with the bearings.

I would lift the caliper and pull the rotor. Inspect the dust shield and rotor for any signs of rubbing. Pop the bearings out, clean them, the inside of the hub, and the spindle - inspect for any kind of damage. Regrease the bearings, reinstall with new grease seal and use proper torquing procedure. Check for ANY play that shouldn't be there.

A slight possibility - did you bend both ends of the cotter key over after installing it? If not, it could be rubbing the inside of the dust cap. Easy enough to check - pop the dust cap off and drive it.
well the thing is these bearings are sealed and pressed into the rotor as one unit. Just checked the cotter pin and it's ends are bent over, but I will look it over again and if I don't see anything I'm going to take it to my mechanic.

Old 11-26-2016, 03:25 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Ack - a 07 2wd, sorry about that. I was thinking my 03 2wd which has traditional removable cone bearings in a 1 piece rotor/hub assembly.

Did you use a new spindle nut and torque it down to specs? I think it needs 295 ft/lb or something ridiculous like that, and you need to loosen it 5 turns and torque it again from what I'm reading.

EDIT: Have you considered getting the Centric 2 piece rotor/hub conversion kits?

https://www.amazon.com/Centric-Parts.../dp/B001KO0TO2

Last edited by glc; 11-26-2016 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:24 PM
I know it probably not the case but my truck made this exact noise when it was low on power steering fluid. Turned out to be my high pressure side has a small leak. Sorry if it's not the case but it takes just a couple of minutes to check.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:13 AM
Solved

Okay, Monday I took my truck to my machanic and he said that it was the rotor. I took it home and sure enough there was play in it. Changed it out and it's still quiet.

thanks for the help.

Update: 12/22/2016, everything is still quiet since I changed out the bearings, Glc, if I have to change out those damn thing again, I will definitely go with the conversion kits.

Last edited by jerbnnon; 12-22-2016 at 09:17 PM.