Pop/Clunk in front end

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 02:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2 problems.

The squeak is coming from the rear shock bushings. What should i use to lube them with the shocks still on the truck.

Back to the pop in the front end. it did it again today after i snugged everything up. now what im thinking it might be is the coilover in the LCA. the way the coilover bolts to the lca, it is able to be moved side to side a little. im thinking that it turns hard when i go off a curb when the wheel is turned. here is a pic of how it connects. Anyone ever see a coilover do this?

Old 06-26-2011, 05:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure here, having the wheel turned should not change anything there, its always vertical travel regardless of wheel position. However the bolt should be able to float through the CO, wonder if its possible for it to have dirt or something in there causing it to bind and when it does give it pops. I am thinking this is pretty doubtful though.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:34 PM
well i guess i am going to have to take it in somewhere. thanks for all your help. ill let you know when i take it in and what they say.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:50 AM
After thinking about what could be causing this sound, i thought it might be the upper or lower ball joint bolts not being tight enough. i was able to tighten both uppers but not the lowers. They were on too tight. Since i was already down there i decided to tighten up the left tie rod. After doing that, i had my girlfriend turn the wheel all the way to the right. About 3/4 of the way to the right, it popped. So now im thinking it might be the tie rod. After i was done tightening everything again i took it for a drive around my apt complex and drove it up and down the curbs going into the parking spots. The front would make the pop with the wheel turned over the bump. then i would back right out, without turning the wheel, and it would pop again. It seems to only pop backing out of the spot, if it pops going over the bump to begin with. Im thinking its something to do with the steering. Kind of like its binding an popping. I no longer think it is a loose bolt from my lift. Any idea what could be the issue in the steering? I know my fare share about cars but not too much about steering components.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:08 PM
if anyone is wondering, i found out what the problem is. The bolts that hold the LCA onto the cross members are loose so the lca bolt is slamming into the edge of the cross member . Im going to tighten the on saturday and im going to do my best not to screw the alignment too bad.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by RandomHero34
if anyone is wondering, i found out what the problem is. The bolts that hold the LCA onto the cross members are loose so the lca bolt is slamming into the edge of the cross member . Im going to tighten the on saturday and im going to do my best not to screw the alignment too bad.
Originally Posted by mdhawkin
Some to check:
Where coilover goes into frame horn mount (3 bolts).
Not sure if that kit uses a spacer or a strut extender but check those too.
Check drop down bracket that LCA's connect to.
Check torque speck on UCA and LCA ball joints.
ALSO, may not hurt to check and make sure break caliper is bolted on securely.
Guess I should have added more detail LOL, implied information is not always helpful. Glad you found the problem

Old 06-30-2011, 03:53 PM
when i went to tighten everything, thats the only thing i did not touch. i didnt want to screw the alignment up. And i didnt have any help so it would have hard to tighten those by myself. Thanks for helping out so much. i really appreciate it.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:14 PM
No problem - enjoy the "new" ride.

Quick Reply: Pop/Clunk in front end