Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > Suspension
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Suspension SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 02-23-2010, 02:44 PM
1997 none none

StormTrooper069
Send a message via AIM to King James
replacing lower control arm, torsion bar and leaky steering gearbox

First thing, I want to replace the lower control arm and torsion bar on the passenger side. Are there any special tools that might make this job easier? How long will it take to do something like this? I've done upper control arms before.

The other thing is the steerign gearbox. It has a real slow leak where the steering wheel input shaft goes in. Should I just replace the gearbox? I don't want to spend a lot of money if I don't have to. How hard is it to remove the gearbox? Or is it possible to reseal it without removing it?

Old 02-24-2010, 10:28 AM
2011 Ford Expedition
My Garage

Vehicle: 2002 Ford F150
I am not a mechanic by any means but i believe that in order to replace the torsion bar you are going to need a torsion bar unloading tool. And for don the lower arm you are probably going to need a ball joint press as well. the ball joint tool can be rented from most auto parts stores but when i did my lift i could not find anyone to rent out the torsion bar tool. they are like $100 if you have chose to buy one and do it yourself. i just chose to pay someone else to do it rather than having the hassle and having to buy the tool.

2002 King Ranch F-150 4X4
6" BDS lift with 3" body
38"x13.50x20" Toyo M/t
20"x9" American Eagle 079 with negative 12 offset and 4.466 backspacing

Last edited by lost cause; 02-24-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:13 PM
1997 none none

StormTrooper069
Send a message via AIM to King James
The lower control arm come with the ball joint so I'm not worried about pressing it in. I may try to find a place that rents out the torsion bar tool. If not, I'll find some other place to do the job. The dealer wants ~$1,100 to do the job including the cost of the parts.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:13 PM