Air Bags... T or not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 07:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Bags... T or not?

I just purchased my Ride Rite kit. I am thinking about putting a T in the line to make them equal pressure and simplify airing up. I've read some posts that say this defeats the purpose of the bags though by allowing them to equalize when turning etc.

I'm now thinking of putting a valve on one side so that I can air up and then close the valve when towing to keep them isolated... any reason this won't work? The only downside I can think of is more connections to leak.

Maybe I'm ovethinking this hehe.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:17 PM
Technical Article Contributor

The problem with a "T" is that if you are ever trying to offset a weight difference (left to right), it's not going to work.
As far as side to side shift, I'm not sure how likely it is. The springs will still carry some weight, and the bags will keep the ride height higher. But I still don't like the idea a lot.
Here's another idea...
A lot of people route the air lines to the rear license plate. If you do that, you could make a fitting that screws in to each valve and ties them together. Basically build an external "T". You could air both up (or down) at the same time so they have the same pressure, and when you take the fittings off they hold their own air. Plus it means less fittings to leak on the truck.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:45 PM
Frist what are you going to be towing? or hauling?

Old 03-26-2009, 10:09 PM
we have T on our F-250 and have never had a problem with it, just one regular valve to air them both up and they seem to stay even, at least we have never had a problem with one side being up in the air and the other not.

Quick Reply: Air Bags... T or not?