Not 1, Not 2, But 3 Components SHOT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 02:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Not 1, Not 2, But 3 Components SHOT!!!

So I had first noticed a clunking when turning the wheel at slow speed or stopped. Tugged on the tie rod and there was certainly some play. Then it magically went away. Then I noticed a GRINDING at slow speed from the passenger front.

So, I lifted the passenger front off the ground to give it the ol' in-out/up-down tie rod and ball joint test.

Keeping in mind I replaced my ball joints 16k mi ago, guess what I found.

Up-down...bout 1" - 1 1/2"

In-Out...1"

WTF!!!???? My tie rod ends and ball joints are going bad...they are SHOT. But wait, there's more. Wheel bearing is TOAST as well.

There is soooo much play in that wheel that when im stopping coming off the highway, the truck starts to shake really bad cause that wheel is just flopping around.

Sooo, now im busy spending money and doing all the work on the truck

Old 03-11-2009, 03:28 PM
That sucks to have to dish out all that money at one time.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:37 PM
How in the hell can your ball joints be gone after 16,000miles!?!? Are you lifted... What size tires are you running...

Off topic here but I noticed you have Mickey Thompson ATZ, I took a look at your pictures and they are completly different from my MT ATZ`s. I have the SLT maybe that is the difference 33.13.5.R20

Last edited by 07BlkScrew; 03-11-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:12 AM
Im not lifted...just cranked T-bars, so it sits level. To make it more ridiculous, my tires are only 275/65-18's...Not Big.

16K on the ball joints, I have no F'n Idea how this could happen, not just going bad...garbage. The tie rods and bearings, im a bit more at peace with cause the truck does have 165k mi on it, so thats part of owning a high mileage truck. But everything at once is a KILLER. And the price of the bearing-hub assembly is hell on the wallet.

But Wait, theres more. I've got the whole front end ripped apart only to find that the stabilizer link bolt was broken too. Its just too much

Oh, and my ATZ's look different cause they are the "traditionals" I guess thats they're version for more standard sized tires. And for whatever reason, my tread pattern has a continuous lug down the center where yours have just 4 big, meety lugs. I like the style of yours better. But i only paid $400 for my whole set, which is the only reason I have 275/65-18. If i paid full price, they would have been much bigger. I just couldn't pass up the $100 a tire on these

Last edited by krusedisc; 03-12-2009 at 09:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Not 1, Not 2, But 3 Components SHOT!!!