My review installing the Bilstein 5100's

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 12:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My review installing the Bilstein 5100's

I just had to share. Last weekend I received my new Bilstein 5100's for the front and rear. Originally, I was going to go with the Rancho Quick Lift's, but 4 Wheel Parts had problems getting there hands on them. So I decided to go with the Bilstein 5100's.

I did the install my self, with the help of the free loaner tools from Auto Zone (coil spring compressor and a 29mm deep socket). Well If you are planning on doing the front your self, be forewarned that the front springs on the new F150's are HEAVY DUTY! The spring compressor was NOT able to compress the springs, it would barely go around the coil and when I tried to compress it, it stripped the spring compressor. The compressor was designed for smaller diameter coils, and the F150's coils are almost 1" diameter.

I ended up taking my strut assembly's to a local shop where the mechanic compressed the spring with a hydraulic spring compressor and swapped in the new Bilstein's for the whopping price of a 12-pack of beer.

Once I got home, it was a matter of about 1/2 hour for each side to reinstall the fronts, and a matter of about 10 minutes on each side for the rear.

Now, my truck is an '07 and only has 21k miles on it but the factory shocks were waisted. I was having problems with wheel hop on the rear end when on the highway, and on the front I HAD the 2 1/2" leveling kit from Top Gun Customz, which caused contact between the upper control arm and the coil spring. When I installed the new Bilstein's, I set the ride height at the maximum, 2" lift. The truck now sits at just about the same leveled ride height as before, but now with no contact between the upper control arm and the coil spring. With the front suspension at full droop, there is still 1/2" clearance to the coil.

The truck now rides and handles like a dream. And it might sound crazy, but my gas millage has also increased, not by much, about .2 MPG. I would guess that the reason behind this is the 1/2" lower in the front making it a bit more aerodynamic.

I just thought I would share my experience with the forum and offer my high recommendation for the Bilstein 5100's!!

Old 06-14-2008, 02:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Those shocks might be the next thing I do to my truck, seems like a good way to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:33 PM
That it is! I just can't say enough about them! I love them! Someday I'll download all the picture from my camer and post them for you. A few "old timer" tricks that I learned along the way might help you out...

Old 07-03-2008, 06:23 PM
post pics as soon as you get a chance. im looking to get either those or the rancho ql. how much did you pay for the shocks? i know if i go to 4 wheel parts they will install everything for free right now. well. for the rancho shocks.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:37 PM
just remembered i did a search, and noticed the date. old thread.

Quick Reply: My review installing the Bilstein 5100's