Squeakiddy Squeak Squeak

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Squeakiddy Squeak Squeak

Drives me nuts...

I mainly hear it when I'm pulling into a parking spot or driving real slow (less wind noise). It happens as the shocks/struts/springs/whatever get pressed. When I hit the brakes, it squeaks (not brake noise, I have that too) but because the truck is leaning forward. Then when I accelerate, it squeaks because the truck is leaning back. Then when I hit little bumps (hardly even bumps) the truck squeaks as it moves.

What could cause this?

99 f150 4x4 supercab 133k miles

Old 11-01-2007, 12:35 PM
Hey I am in the same boat as you right now. It started off sqeaking every now and then and that was a while back. Yesterday it just got real bad. I have done some research one here and it's a hard thing to narrow down. Could be one or a few things.

Could be a pitman arm or a ball joint or control arm that needs replacing or greasing. Does yours also sqeak or make noise when you turn the wheel, because mine is doing that too. Maybe others that have successfully solved this problem will chime in here.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by keith204

What could cause this?
Lots of possibilities. Could be sway bar bushings when suspension is flexing like over bumps. If the noise occurs when turning the steering wheel - check tie rod ends and/or ball joints. I've seen either a possibility as well as an idler arm, etc. etc.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:44 PM
It could also be something as basic as a shock. Start small then work your way up. after market shocks are better anyway.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
That's annoying as hell isn't

Well, You could either replace them all w/Polyurethane bushings or just get a couple cans of "silicon" spray lube and hit them ALL good.

After the first application they'll still squeak - hit them again - it will go away as soon as the bushings absorbed enough lube - But get a silicon based lube if you want it to work and last..

Good Luck

BTW - The rear springs will do that after the pads between the springs where out - jack it up and throw some rubber in between to stop that from reoccurring.. 230,000 miles here and know more squeaks..

Last edited by jbrew; 11-01-2007 at 02:25 PM.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:21 PM
I plan on replacing my shocks at some point anyway...but I am pretty sure it is not the shock....seeing as how I don't even have to move the truck and I can just turn the wheel and hear sqeaking. Plus shocks are at least $50 a piece and other parts can be cheaper than that.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:34 PM
the problem will most likely be ball joints. how many miles do you have?
my ball joints out at about 74000. i bought some moog greasable joints and spent a total of 400 dollars parts and labor. thats not bad considering that should last the life of the truck. check the boards to, the ball joints ford used for our trucks sucka ***............

Quick Reply: Squeakiddy Squeak Squeak