New Front Shocks, Big Surprise!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 02:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Front Shocks, Big Surprise!

This morning my wife and I washed my 1991 F-150. I started by doing the wheels, nerf bars, wheel wells, and bottom end. I then noticed I had 2 broken front shocks! (Rancho RS 9000 5 position adjustable). The red plastic bushings were missing and the broken shock was just rattling around. I'm deaf in one ear and don't hear too well, and Melanie said the truck rode and sounded like $h!t when it went over bumps. I guess so! I bought 2 NAPA Heavy Duty Gas Front Shocks. $100.00 out the door for 2. With me turning the wrenches and her playing "Hey, go get", we were done in about 30 minutes, half of which was me screwing around with my cheap $h!t Auto Zone jack repositioning it 5 times to get the new shock to line up so I could get the bolt thru it. All's well that ends well, and now the old gal rides nice and smooth! Sounds a lot more solid too. It's amazing what you get used to hearing and feeling with an old vehicle. Bill T.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey I did the same thing two weeks ago. I had the originals on there for 182,000 miles without changing them. oops I have replaced the upper ball joint on the passenger side 3 times because my mechanic said it was bad. squeaked like mad. The second I changed the shocks squeaking stopped immediatly. Now When I go over bumbs ( I live on a mile dirt road ) It sounds like something is loose on the front end maybe something bent have not had the time to really inspect it. first time really doing any work on my own. bought the haynes book looks pretty simple to do some front end upgrades on the sway bar upper and lower ball joints and pitman arms?????? Thanks Matt

Quick Reply: New Front Shocks, Big Surprise!